Thread: No-grain lasagna

No-grain lasagna

Shop Now
    So far I just made this once as an experiment-

I found a tiny one-egg frying pan, and thought I wanted to make something pizza-ish, with cheese, beef, tomato sauce, etc, like lasagna, but no big layer of pasta.

The pan was just big enough to fry one slice of Jarlsburg cheese to make it a bit crispy.

I take that out of the pan, put in another slice, a small ground beef patty (already cooked), pizza sauce, some shredded mozzarella, and put the crispy cheese slice on top.

Warmed it up for about 5 min on low, and done. It was crispy, cheesy, tomato saucey, and had a beef center. I'll try it a few ways before making a recipe out of it.

Sounds good! Does the Jarlesberg crisp up like a lacey "frico"?

I actually just thought: what about thin omelettes? You could mix in some potato starch if you don't mind a bit of it; will make it more pasta-like (i.e. gooey).

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Sounds good! Does the Jarlesberg crisp up like a lacey "frico"?
    I dunno what a "frico" is, but yeah, a slice of Jalesburg will get crisp.

Bissen- Good idea on some potato starch. I bet that would help the coconut flour pizza crust.

I use my mandolin slice to make thin zucchini slices, salt the slices and place on a paper towel for 30 minutes to draw out some of the moisture. Pat with another paper towel to dry. Put in oven heated to 200 for 10-15 minutes. Use as lasagna noodles.
    Last edited by goldengrokette; 07-24-2011 at 10:29 AM.

If you slice rutabaga really thin and prepare it exactly as you would regular lasagna (boil it first), you will love the results.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengrokette View Post
    I use my mandolin slice to make thin zucchini slices, salt the slices and place on a paper towel for 30 minutes to draw out some of the moisture. Pat with another paper towel to dry. Put in oven heated to 200 for 10-15 minutes. Use as lasagna noodles.
    I will confirm that this works really well. I'd say even better than traditional lasagna noodles; it's just a little toothier and imparts a bit of zucchini flavor.

Shop Now
    Great idea on the zucchini layer.

I like to make "potato pancakes" using chopped zucchini, walnuts, and romano. Just throw it in a blender and add spices you like, and fry in olive oil until brown. Yum. The romano melts just right and then browns a little. Mine have paprika, turmeric, black pepper, curry, and basil.

I tried the no grain lasagne a second time and did pics this time-

It's a single-serving of lasagne using cheese cooked to make a hard layer instead of pasta.

Recipe – No-Grain Lasagne