Thread: Marinade for Chicken, Pork, Buffalo, Etc. page

Andrew.r.w is offline Junior Member

Marinade for Chicken, Pork, Buffalo, Etc.

Primal Fuel
    Please share your varied and delicious marinade suggestions for gas-grilled meat.

My offering (that I use way too often):

Pick a bowl that is tall and not much bigger than you need to contain the meat
    Crush 2 or 3 good-sized cloves of garlic
    Add an oz. or so of vinegar and another oz. or so of soya sauce and stir
    Cut meat into pieces that are no more than 1" thick (i.e., cut a chicken breast into 3 or 4 pieces lengthwise)
    Place the meat into the bowl with the marinade and stir now and then for a couple of hours

I vary this buy using different kinds of vinegar, adding hot sauce, and switching out soya for Worchestershire sauce, stuff like that. It is getting boring. If I'm going to eat this much meat I need variety. Please help.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever looked into using rubs instead of marinades? Personally, I think rubs give more flavor and there is so much versatility- I quit marinading.

Check out this site if your interested.
    Rub Recipes - BBQ Rubs - Spice Rubs

allrecipes.com/recipe/all-purpose-rub-for-meat/
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Some rubs call for sugar but unless you want a sweet rub (which can be substituted with something else) these are good and you get to play and really learn what spices can do.
    All-Purpose Rub for Meat Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    @Andrew- You don't list any fats in your marinades - is that typical for you? I usually use a fat of some kind in mine.

@athomeontherange - I've never tried a rub. Something perhaps to plan on this weekend.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Andrew.r.w is offline Junior Member
    I use rubs too, but I find marinated meats can be more tender. I use a steak rub with anchos, chopotles, and cumin that I like a lot. Again, variety eludes me.

As for fats in my marinades, I don't know what sort of fat to add. I'm new at this!

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    In terms of fats, I frequently use an olive oil and I do know there are some issues with cooking at high temps but I am banking on the good fats in the meat over-riding the issue.
    Alternately, you can rub the meat with butter or other animal fat and I assume coconut oil as well although I have yet to try it. Julia Child use to say something about the value of massaging a chicken with butter before roasting it. It works so well with a roasted chicken that I naturally started using it on grilled meats. The really great thing about using a more solid fat is that you can add flavors to it (e.g. lemon zest and dill for fish or chilis, garlic and lime zest for a steak). With butter it's call Compound Butter and you can find lots of recipes on the internet. I store it in the freezer - pull it out as needed and rub it into the meat .Voila! Instant flavor!!
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    In terms of fats, I frequently use an olive oil and I do know there are some issues with cooking at high temps but I am banking on the good fats in the meat over-riding the issue.
    Alternately, you can rub the meat with butter or other animal fat and I assume coconut oil as well although I have yet to try it. Julia Child use to say something about the value of massaging a chicken with butter before roasting it. It works so well with a roasted chicken that I naturally started using it on grilled meats. The really great thing about using a more solid fat is that you can add flavors to it (e.g. lemon zest and dill for fish or chilis, garlic and lime zest for a steak). With butter it's call Compound Butter and you can find lots of recipes on the internet. I store it in the freezer - pull it out as needed and rub it into the meat .Voila! Instant flavor!!

after the food is cooked or before?

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    A delicious one for chicken or turkey or pork is to chop very finely a couple of stems of lemongrass, add the juice of two limes and the zest of one, a good slug of olive oil, about an inch of finely chopped ginger and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic - a tablespoon of fresh lemon thyme is nice in this as well. Mix your meat with that and leave for about 20 mins to 2 hours, and cook as you like.