Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fasting and Hormones page 2

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    NDF-

Yep!

I was thinking more on this problem of getting stuck in the weeds with these studies-

If studies were all we needed, why go to a dr? Just work google over and get all the info you need, right? This doesn't work because you get lost in mountains of data and conflicting conclusions.

I see a thyroid hormone doc. I learned a lot from him. I can use google to find studies and pick up more facts on the details. But, if I never would have talked to the doc, all the studies would just be noise. The studies do not equal insight or knowledge that applies when you want it to.

I have seen someone spend an incredible amount of time trying to get ahead on the low carb topic by trying to read and understand every study they could. All they did was make themselves confused and I doubt they know what to even do anymore. I'm seeing this on rT3 and metabolism too. It's like "If I can't find a study to tell me "X," then X must not be true.

There is probably a name for this fallacy, but I don't feel like looking it up!

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    IF ing makes a ton of sense when your completely LS and your older.......And the biology of the hormonal response is very very favorable on many metabolic pathways. This is one of my future topics......its too early to talk it up yet because not enough of the foundational science is out there yet for people to get it. Forget my profession........they'd rather practice evidence based cook book medicine. Its how the government pays us to keep people sick.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    .........they'd rather practice evidence based cook book medicine. .
    Yep. Maybe what I was referring to above is the "evidence-based fallacy."

If no study says it's so, it can't be so. If a study says it is so and cites evidence, it must be so. Never mind that maybe they looked at the wrong things, or missed something!

I just switched off a website I have been on for a few years over how they can't discuss nutritional topics. This site prides itself on being rational and skeptical. But when it comes to challenging CW wisdom on medicine and diet, the readers are conservative to the point of being stupid. I mention Paleo, and they go nuts and scream for "evidence and studies." What about 1 million years of evolution? haha. Like, I need an evidence based proof that humans evolved eating what was available, and not eating processed crap. It seems that people don't notice that what they believe to start with isn't based on evidence, but they demand evidence if you point out that something is wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12