Thread: Questions for making chicken stew page

wiltondeportes Guest

Questions for making chicken stew

Primal Fuel
    I just bought a whole chicken from the local store. I'm going to stew it with sweet potato, tomato, parsley, and broccoli.

1. Is there anything to take off the chicken before I cook it? Can I eat the giblets and all that stuff?

2. What is a good time/temp to cook the chicken at? My massive knowledge of cooking is to cook it at ___ temperature until the meat in the middle is done.

3. Any combo of vegetables that might work better? Or spices?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I am not an expert but I see no reason you can't stew the whole chicken.

Don't boil the chicken. That will make it tough. Simmer. Braising (only a little broth or water) would be best. Put the broccoli and parsley in toward the end.

This recipe should give you the general idea. They don't use chicken, just broth. Just throw the chicken in at the start. Actually, put the breasts in a while after the other parts or they will dry out. Google for more recipes.

Here is a recipe of mine for chicken, yam and green bean curry. Here is another good recipe.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 07-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    I am not an expert but I see no reason you can't stew the whole chicken.

Don't boil the chicken. That will make it tough. Simmer. Braising (only a little broth or water) would be best. Put the broccoli and parsley in toward the end.

This recipe should give you the general idea. They don't use chicken, just broth. Just throw the chicken in at the start. Actually, put the breasts in a while after the other parts or they will dry out. Google for more recipes.

Here is a recipe of mine for chicken, yam and green bean curry. Here is another good recipe.
    Nice. I'll try those out next time.

I put it on low for about 5 hours, then medium with all my vegetables for an hour. It was pretty good, but my broth is still watery. The most amazing part was the chicken. Very tender and even the bones were chewable. This was literally my first chicken since February when I begin trying the Primal diet.