Thread: Can anyone who has had success in leaning out recommend a daily meal plan? page

cj7
    cj7 is offline Junior Member

Can anyone who has had success in leaning out recommend a daily meal plan?

Primal Fuel
    I am a college baseball player, 5'9" 175 lbs. and have been on and off Paleo since November 2010. My main goal for a few years has been to lean out. I am by no means fat or chubby, but would love to shed a a bit of fat, especially on my stomach. I have been the same pretty much my whole life, a very muscular kid with a common build for baseball/football players.

This past winter I had hip surgery and afterward ate an awful junk food diet. Then felt fat and went 100 percent Paleo for about 40 days. I did not know nearly as much as I do now about nutrition and the primal diet overall. Because I was layed up in my dorm room and unable to do ANYTHING (an athletes worst nightmare) I thought eating Paleo would really help shed some fat. I now realize I was eating WAY too little, and I lost tons of weight, got dizzy often and felt really cold. So I said screw this, Spring Break came along and I went crazy with some old friends name Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's, and Ben and Jerrys! My weight shot back up to 180lbs, surprisingly didnt get too fat, and I started working out again. But I felt awful! especially now that I knew how bad that food was for me and how I completely screwed up my goal of getting lean.

I am currently back on Paleo, but have dealt with a few junk food binges here and there. I have learned a lot more about Paleo and nutrition ( I recommend a video called "Sugar; The bitter truth" )
    but still need some help with my daily meals. I have found it hard to determine my macronutrient needs and some days I do not feel great for my workouts/ practices. Baseball is by no means a sport that requires endurance but it requires a ton of explosive strength and speed. I do interval/circuit weight training and want to make sure I am getting the right amount of food, enough to fuel me but still lose the fat.

Anyone have any daily meal plan recommendations? I am 21 years old, muscular build, 175lbs, 5'9''

Thanks for reading that was longer than I expected.

pbe28 is offline Junior Member
    hey i play D1 college tennis and have been going primal for about a year, here is my plan and i think it can help you. Its really simple. Im 6'3 and 190 lbs, so you may want to adjust. And remember, everything is fresh and organic!

breakfast is a bunch of fruit, and a scramble of eggs and veggies and sometimes some meat. if i dont have time in the morning to make anything, i usually will just have fruit and a protein shake.
    i usually snack on some macadamia nuts before lunch.
    lunch i use marks recipe for the "Big Ass Salad" i use a pretty huge mixing bowl and throw in 2 massive hand fulls of spinach and other greens, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, nuts or seeds, avocado, and some meat. usually chicken or steak, whatever i have left over from dinner
    i usually have snack before dinner, similar to my first one.
    dinner i eat a bunch of meat and veggies and another salad as well.
    Last edited by pbe28; 07-24-2011 at 05:14 PM.

btw, i just had my dad start this as well, he is 51 and he lost 25 lbs in the past two months and already almost has a six pack haha

cj7
    cj7 is offline Junior Member
    thanks a lot that is so simple.. i think i make it too complicated at times. Did you ever go through a phase where you felt a little weak or tired when you started?

For me I will be eating primal for a week or two but then feel so weak and its tough to get through my workouts or even just walk around so ill just say screw this and go back to old eating habits.

and thats awesome with your pops ive been trying to get mine to do it but he's stubborn as hell. He's 55 and his belly is growing by the day and he hates it cuz he was always a skinny athlete his whole life haha

yeah the reason you feel weak is because your body is dependent on insulin. here is a simple explanation....
    1. humans eat primal until the past hundred or so years.
    2. humans start eating more grains because they are convenient and easy and stuff like that
    3. humans aren't supposed to do that.
    4. carbohydrates from breads/grains work as insulin, providing you with short term burst of energy... kind of like caffeine ...than you crash

its kind off like getting of a drug, or cigarettes or something... your body has become dependent on insulin, so you have withdrawal symptoms.

once your clean of all that... you start fresh and feel great! a difficult hill to climb but from the top it looks great!!

as far as your dad... its hard to convince people of things the older they get... maybe show him this website...
    Last edited by pbe28; 07-27-2011 at 09:52 PM.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj7 View Post
    I am a college baseball player, 5'9" 175 lbs. and have been on and off Paleo since November 2010. My main goal for a few years has been to lean out. I am by no means fat or chubby, but would love to shed a a bit of fat, especially on my stomach.
    Fatty Acid Oxidation
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

Quote Originally Posted by cj7 View Post
    thanks a lot that is so simple.. i think i make it too complicated at times. Did you ever go through a phase where you felt a little weak or tired when you started?
    You need to become keto adapted.
    Last edited by js290; 07-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.