Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: White Lion Bakery - we make grain-free breads, crackers, cakes and cookies! page 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you Hilary. I LOVE the white squirrel! - so much like our White Lion (pale-leo get it?). Paleo magazine is going to run a feature on us in their September issue so an international franchise may be a future possibility :-)

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    White Lion (pale-leo get it?)
    Ouch!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Put me in the "crap is crap" camp. Well intentioned I'm sure but still part of a larger problem in the gluten-free marketplace. Good for no more than an occasional treat but one doesn't mail order 1 occasional cookie.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

pizzmor is offline Member
    So is protein powder primal?
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzmor View Post
    So is protein powder primal?
    Since Mark gets to define primal, and he sells protein powder, then I suspect so. I wouldn't touch the stuff. I avoid all highly processed foods and all lightly processed foods subject to rapid spoilage. In this case, protein powder is definitely a highly processed food-like substance.

Gordo

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Great idea! I think it's absolutely true that those who eat grain-free baked goods daily are fooling themselves if they think they're eating paleo, primal, traditional foods, nutrient-dense, or any other idea of healthy eating.

But sometimes you have a birthday. And you need a birthday cake. And your daughter is gluten intolerant. And then I'll order from you guys, and hope for a location to open some day near me!

I do have one quibble - agave is, best I can tell, *extremely* processed. It appears to be manmade honey, and by manmade, I mean in a lab, not a kitchen. Just as processed as HFCS.

But I appreciate the idea! Better you figuring out the chemistry and making that birthday cake than me!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLionBakingCo View Post
    I respect your personal eating style however almond flour is just ground almonds. We go through so much of it that it never gets rancid - and we store it in the fridge.
    I used to eat ground flax seed. When I traveled I'd keep a bag ready-ground in the cooler. It usually started to smell awful within a week. That's because PUFAs oxidize so easily once the integrity of the seed is broken. PUFAs also react easily with sugar. So let's take some partially oxidized PUFAs, add sugar, and heat the mess up. What does AGE stand for again? The ingredients may all be primal, but the resulting product is not, at least in my book. Besides, the last thing I need is to get used to eating cookies and pastries again. Crackers, OK, I could get behind the occasional cracker strictly as a convenience, but I've been doing just fine without them.

Gordo

taylor044 is offline Junior Member
    I agree with most others, it seems very well intentioned and I hope your business does great, but it seems very counter intuitive to what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to cut out sweets and all the bad stuff so that I stop craving them. The occassional treat is one thing, but for me, it would be harder to draw the line if I eat these types of deserts and call it healthy. That's just a personal preference, and I might be going overboard because not only do I not eat agave, I don't really eat any honey either.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Pale Leo~
    Check into ditching that naxty ol' agave and switching to coconut crystals or syrup. Many natural chefs are now getting clued in.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

pizzmor is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Since Mark gets to define primal, and he sells protein powder, then I suspect so. I wouldn't touch the stuff. I avoid all highly processed foods and all lightly processed foods subject to rapid spoilage. In this case, protein powder is definitely a highly processed food-like substance.

Gordo

Very diplomatic.
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast