Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Salad Dressings....Dangerous? page

Van Viz Guest

I made my first homemade Balsamic dressing using the recipe on MDA. After storing it in the fridge overnight it had solidified, or at least the olive oil did. After researching I found that this is a normal occurence. However, I came accross information that putting fresh garlic in olive oil can be potentially dangerous and may cause botulism??

I was confused if they were talking about heating up oil and garlic or anytime garlic is in oils. Can anybody clear up this issue of garlic and oils for me?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Fresh garlic stored in oil is dangerous.

"Garlic is a low-acid vegetable, which makes it ideal for culturing Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria which causes botulism. As long as the bacterium is exposed to oxygen, it cannot develop the spores which secrete the toxin, so garlic itself is perfectly safe. However, when garlic is placed in oil or fat, an anaerobic environment is created, and if the bacteria is present, it can cause botulism in anyone who consumes the product."

"Freshly prepared garlic in oil, used immediately, is also safe, as the bacteria have no time to grow. Fresh garlic in oil can also be refrigerated and used safely for up to one week. Home cooks lack the facilities necessary to add enough acid for long-term storage."

To read the rest of the article:

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-it-safe-to-store-garlic-in-oil.htm

I always either cook the garlic or just consume as soon as possible!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

i use garlic powder in my dressings instead of fresh garlic... seems to work fine and i haven't died yet.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

maba is offline Senior Member

I don't know about garlic causing botulism, but when I'd made a dressing w/ EVOO and fresh garlic and left it inadvertently at room temperature for a few days, it got spoilt.

Geoff is offline Member

Leaving cloves of garlic submerged in oil for a long time at room temperature is potentially hazardous. However, overnight storage in your refrigerator is not likely to be dangerous. Also, the vinegar in your dressing should prevent or deeply retard any bacterial growth that otherwise might occur. If you are really concerned, make the dressing without the garlic and refrigerate as normal. When it's time to serve, add the garlic-less dressing to your salad and, before tossing, add a bit of freshly minced garlic.

maba is offline Senior Member

I hope the home-made aioli doesn't go bad. I should remember to finish it as soon as I can.

kam904s is offline Member

Whoops! I didn't know this. THANK YOU for posting it because I had some leftover garlic the other night and I just tossed it in the dressing. I was out of lettuce so I didn't use it, thankfully. You probably just saved me a trip to the doctor!

Annika is offline Senior Member

Yikes! I have left garlic oil out on the counter for weeks to put on bread instead of butter (back in my pre-PB days). I'm lucky to be alive!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

FairyRae2 Guest

Holy moly! Glad to read this--I often put fresh garlic in dressing and have totally kept it in the fridge for days and reused it...AHHH!

How about garlic powder--would that be ok?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yes, garlic powder is fine.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast