Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justifying supplements when youíre following a paleo lifestyle? page

FitChutney is offline Junior Member

Justifying supplements when youíre following a paleo lifestyle?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there

Iíve got a question on supplements: can they ever be justified when youíre following a paleo lifestyle?

As Kurt Harris says,
    "There are no special supplements, drugs or testing required."
    So why are many people using vitamin D, K and magnesium or trying to adjust their omega 3-6 balance, especially when there are articles like this? ABC News Are Too Many Vitamins Bad for Your Health?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    When I can re-do my entire life without ever had the poisons of SAD in me, be raised completely primal, and have a lifestyle that allows me to get all those things naturally, I will gladly do so. Until then, I'll do what's best for my health.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    The way I look at it:

Were we able to follow a strict paleo lifestyle, I do not think that suppliments would be needed. But, keep in mind that that means chasing antelope around all day half naked in the full sun.

If you are educated, and taking suppliments to target a very specific, known deficency, then it's fine. (For example... I am sitting in an office all day, getting no sunlight. I'm taking vitamin D).

I think that the people who get in trouble are those that flood themselves with non-targeted vitamins, just because they figure vitamins are good for you... so the more the better.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i use Vit D becasue honey badgers dont get enough sun and have such tough skin that unless i eat it i wont get it
    All silliness aside i have nutrient needs that outweigh my caloric needs. if i ate it all i woudl probably be sick as well as constipated.

unless my body woudl love me for it and react better, i dont know. I stay full with the primal food i do eat to meet my caloric needs

Additionally i am starting to recognize wheni am eating for fuel versus eating for repair. it feels different. but i suspect the body still has to deal with the calories that came along for the ride
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry about scare tactics or any of that. I use a lot of supplements because mine work. I see my blood tests and talk to my doc about them.

If I had to chose between Paleo eating and my supplements, it would be easy. I would pick the supplements. Paleo/Primal just makes sense, so I do that too.

Paleobird Guest
    This is Mark's take on the subject: Grok Didn’t Take Supplements So Why Should I? | Mark's Daily Apple

That said, I don't take supplements because I don't feel that I need them. I think a lot of the perceived "needs" for supplements are artificially created by the supplement industry in order to sell you supplements.

Why is it that we are so ready to dogpile on the Big Bad Evil Pharma and The Medical Establishment and Big Agra (whatever those terms might mean) and accuse them of wanting to keep us ignorant and sick so they can keep selling us medications we really don't need and foods that will make us sick? But then when Big Vita (the supplement industry) tells us we are all deficient in the supplement of the month that will cure everything wrong in our world, we meekly, even eagerly, hand over our debit cards because they are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts as a public service in order to help people? Yeahright.

Posting the link above is my way of saying to Mark, "Nothing personal, Dude". I know he has to make a living and I know that supplements can help some people with specific issues sometimes. Also Mark doesn't push them like if you don't take these you can never *really* be Primal. I appreciate that.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    The diet itself may not require it, but some things are required no matter what, according to each person, or according to being human in a modern world. The trick is knowing what we each as individuals need.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I have tried several different supplements and regimens in differing amounts. The only one I still take regularly is D3. I stopped taking all others and feel just the same if not better. I think vitamins and minerals work best when they are incorporated in our diet.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird-

I think that is stretching it a bit. "Big Vita" is not even allowed to make those claims. They would get a warning letter from the FDA.

But, I'm sure there is plenty of money being made off of people on stuff they don't need. People also buy houses that are too big, too many clothes, SUVs that are over built, and just add your own.

Supplements are a choice. It's no big deal. There is no reason to get down on people that use them, or critical of people who won't.

I prefer to pick mine with my dr based on tests. I don't care how Paleo or purist that is. I'm not stopping.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Paleobird-

I think that is stretching it a bit. "Big Vita" is not even allowed to make those claims. They would get a warning letter from the FDA.

But, I'm sure there is plenty of money being made off of people on stuff they don't need. People also buy houses that are too big, too many clothes, SUVs that are over built, and just add your own.

Supplements are a choice. It's no big deal. There is no reason to get down on people that use them, or critical of people who won't.

I prefer to pick mine with my dr based on tests. I don't care how Paleo or purist that is. I'm not stopping.
    If people have plenty of money, they can waste it however they like. What bugs me is people here stressing about the price of meat but still being willing to shell out for a row of supplement bottles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast