Thread: Question about local meat. page

Dan208 is offline Senior Member

Question about local meat.

Primal Fuel
    There's a local meat processing facility in my area that has their own store. They raise their own beef and pork, which according to their website is "grain-fed with no added hormones". As far as I know they are the only place to get local meat from. I'm trying to get a lot of our foods locally, but should I avoid them since they are grain-fed? It's pretty hard in this area to find grass-fed meats in the stores, although one store that we frequent did just start carrying a very small selection.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Where do you live? Unless it's one of the lesser Micronesian islands, it's likely there is GF/pastured beef and pork around you. You've just got to know where to look.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    You've just got to know where to look.
    Right, you can use online sources, if you have a trust fund.

Have you thought about talking to them and asking about where to find grass fed sources? If you're in an area outside of any metro you should be able to find agriculture, nad a farmer willing to sell some meat.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If it comes to choosing local or grocery meat, choose local.

Then try to narrow it down to grass fed. Your local butchers can help you find farmers who do that.

Trey is offline Junior Member
    Eat Wild - Kansas

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Both of those sites make it fairly easy to find grass fed meats and local products. As far as the hormone/antibiotic free grain fed meats to, in my opinion those are probably better than the stuff at Dillons and Walmart but only marginally. If it's way more expensive per pound I would opt for the leanest cuts of meat possible and just keep shopping at the local grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Eat Wild - Kansas

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Both of those sites make it fairly easy to find grass fed meats and local products. As far as the hormone/antibiotic free grain fed meats to, in my opinion those are probably better than the stuff at Dillons and Walmart but only marginally. If it's way more expensive per pound I would opt for the leanest cuts of meat possible and just keep shopping at the local grocery store.
    Beat me to it.

Also check farmers markets.

I bought a small cube freezer for about $150, and buy beef in bulk. Comes out to be pretty competitive price-wise to grain-fed (after butchering and packaging, about $4-5/pound for steaks, roast and ground), and the quality is superb. Just found a new vendor at a farmer's market and sampled their beef: they sell for $2.50 a pound (quarters and halves) including packaging, so I think I know who I'm contacting this year.

Looking to buy a half pig and a half lamb this year for the first time too.

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the quick replies and the links. We're in a pretty heavy agriculture area (cows in pastures everywhere), I just had no idea where to look. One of the local towns has a farmers market every Wednesday, and I plan on going over there this coming week to check it out. We're also planning on buying a freezer soon.

Edit: Going through one of the links, I found a farm that does 100% grass-fed beef and pork, and they use the locker in my original post to process the meat and you pick it up there.
    Last edited by Dan208; 07-22-2011 at 10:08 AM.