Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting Heavy, and You. - Stall! Stall! page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Smile Lifting Heavy, and You. - Stall! Stall!

Shop Now
    I have been enjoying a rather steady progression with my heavy lifting, but now I have stalled on all my lifts, and I get tired out on the last reps. I have no gas in the tank to 'push through' like normally.

My question is, I am looking to put on mass and get stronger, but the general consensus of 'eat more' is far too vague. If I am looking to maximise power outage in the gym, I'd like to know what nutrient timing and macros would help out in the long run. For instance, i've heard many say, eat more carbs, which is fine. But, on the day before my workout? as I workout in the late morning, early PM, and only have eggs & bacon in the morning for my breakfast. I normally have a banana before my workout, but have recently ditched that for a larger breakfast and a few hours to let my body digest and I work from that energy.

In a nutshell, I need more energy in the gym

Current diet (workout days (Mon,Fri) and 'off days')

Breakfast: 3x Scrambled Egg. 3xBacon fried in a large clump of butter. Coffee with squirty cream.
    Workout days, one extra egg and bacon

After workout: banana and protein shake. Today's workout, I've had half a can of coconut milk in my whey shake to get some extra cals in. This is the first effort in my 'eat more' scheme.

Lunch: Large salad bag or fresh lettuce leaves. Tomato, Mackeral, salmon, corned beef, ham, prawns, boiled egg. Whatever I can get my hands on. Lavished in lots walnut oil and lovely herbs! No dry leaves for me!

Snacks: I tend not too snack, as I am rather satiated from my meals, and workout surpression, I am open to starting eating snacks to get more cals in.

Dinner: Meat and vegetables : Big ass steak with cabbage leaves, Meatza with pepperoni & cheese, Chicken in pork rinds ( ), brussel sprouts, spinach in prawns. It's always high priority to get in meat and veg. Dinner rarely deviates from this. On workout days, I like to get starchy veg in like Turnips, Swede, maybe a sweet potato or 'new potatoes' if I feel like it, but tend to stray away on non workout days.

note: I normally have 2-3 cups of coffee with squirty cream in for a fat-hit! Mmmmm.

Should I be aiming for more fat 'overall' , or get some more protein in for repair on rest days?

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    my general rule of thumb is to eat more carbs (potatoes or rice) on lifting days, and normal primal the rest. I tend to eat more overall on lifting days.

What program have you been following? A linear progression or some periodized program? It may be time to shift it a bit if you are stalling. Also, do you ever take a deload week? I do much better if I deload every few weeks and let the body heal. Not total rest, but use 60-65% of my max.

Also, I wouldn't add in "more" fat. Your lifting days should actually have less fat and more carbs. Your rest days can have the reverse.

I am doing StrongLifts. I have just come off from a weeks break funnily enough! I am going to de-load my overhead press as I am flaking out on 50kg, I've tried it 3 times and it's a no go for 3x5 (Best 5 reps, 4reps, 3reps). I just need that energy to push through and get full reps.

I workout on Monday and Friday for my heavy lifting. Lets say today, (Friday) I have a more carby day for the rest of the day, how will the increase of carbs, affect my workout on the Monday? I've the weekend to get through, to get more energy on the Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I am doing StrongLifts. I have just come off from a weeks break funnily enough! I am going to de-load my overhead press as I am flaking out on 50kg, I've tried it 3 times and it's a no go for 3x5 (Best 5 reps, 4reps, 3reps). I just need that energy to push through and get full reps.

I workout on Monday and Friday for my heavy lifting. Lets say today, (Friday) I have a more carby day for the rest of the day, how will the increase of carbs, affect my workout on the Monday? I've the weekend to get through, to get more energy on the Mon.
    Your carby day today will have no effect on Monday. I'd eat some carbs before your workout and post workout as well. I'd go for a banana pre workout and some rice/potatoes PWO. But I'd moderate your fat those days as well (at a minimum around the time of your workout), first, because insulin is anabolic and you want that spike right after you workout and also because you are eating more carbs, so you don't want your calories to be too much in surplus. Just a bit.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    my general rule of thumb is to eat more carbs (potatoes or rice) on lifting days, and normal primal the rest. I tend to eat more overall on lifting days.

What program have you been following? A linear progression or some periodized program? It may be time to shift it a bit if you are stalling. Also, do you ever take a deload week? I do much better if I deload every few weeks and let the body heal. Not total rest, but use 60-65% of my max.
    +1

So make up some of the extra calories with carbs. On the workout days. Some new potatoes do sound good.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    StrongLifts is a program that is obessive over making gains, gains, gains. My advice is to lift at your own pace, try 3x5 or an intermediate schedule. At some point, no matter what you eat, no matter how hard you push, you will just stall. At least that's what happen to me, about 9 or so months in. I was at 60-65 lbs OHP range forever, and it is quite possible that I will never be able to press 5x70 lbs OHP or go over 130 lbs on the squat. Or I might, but it will from now on take years, rather than months. I did 3x5, then Madcow. And my OHP dropped, while I managed to add 2 lbs to the bench and to the squat. I figure, as long as I go under the bar, and try, I wouldn't worry about how much I am adding from now on per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    StrongLifts is a program that is obessive over making gains, gains, gains. My advice is to lift at your own pace, try 3x5 or an intermediate schedule. At some point, no matter what you eat, no matter how hard you push, you will just stall. At least that's what happen to me, about 9 or so months in. I was at 60-65 lbs OHP range forever, and it is quite possible that I will never be able to press 5x70 lbs OHP or go over 130 lbs on the squat. Or I might, but it will from now on take years, rather than months. I did 3x5, then Madcow. And my OHP dropped, while I managed to add 2 lbs to the bench and to the squat. I figure, as long as I go under the bar, and try, I wouldn't worry about how much I am adding from now on per year.
    Totally disagree. If you lift the same amount consistently, you will not grow. Your body needs progressively heavier weights or more reps to stimulate growth. At some point, whether on Stronglifts or Starting Strength or any linear progression, you will stall and you need to move to a more periodized program, but the goal should be to constantly get your numbers higher.

PrimalCon New York
    not to mention that the OP wants more mass and to get stronger, which requires progressively heavier weights.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast