Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cholesterol and carbs page

saarx1 is offline Senior Member

cholesterol and carbs

Primal Fuel
    i opened a thread about the same subject some time ago but still didnt realy understand.
    from what i understand, the reason why i dont have to limit my cholesterol intake while eating primal is because i limit my carbs to about 100g a day.
    which means, if i decide to get back to working out (means running 3 times a week for like 2 hours each time) im gonna have to increase my carbs intake, which means im gonna have to yet again limit my cholesterol intake? did i get it right?
    and one more thing, if im doing such an active life style, running 3 times a week, will i have to lower my fat intake? i read somwhere that Mark said that in a day of an excerise you have to limit your fat to 50g, which basicly mean that if you train hard few times a week, you just gonna have to limit your fat intake all over, which gets me to the point of eating alot of carbs, and low fat, thats basicly not eating primal.
    im realy confused and i hope you guys understand what im asking, i tried to write as clearly as i could.

peril is offline Senior Member
    No. The reason why you don't have to limit dietary cholesterol is because it has very little influence on either blood cholesterol or wellbeing. Nothing to do with carbs.

The rest is not PB
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Oh cause i saw the movie "fat head" and it says that limiting ur carbs is what makes the cholesterol u eat to be good cholesterol and if u dont limit ur carbs it becomes bad cholesterol, or somthing like that.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Also, running 3 times a week for 2 hours a shot is very very very hard on your body, and may cause all kinds of problems from repetitive stress injuries, cortisol increases, and the like.

Why are you doing that?

training for the army , and i love running.
    realy, running is my thing.. after the army i wanna run for long distances.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    well its difficult for us to endorse the running aspect from a primal aspect it just isnt good for you and makes keeping a proper primal eating routine difficult but if you are going to do that overall depending on the speed your running at (which if its for 2 hrs i hope is not at max intensity the whole time) youre still going to need to run off fat for the most part so keep your fat intake high on non running days and so long as your not looking at weight loss keep your carbs around 100-150...if youre living a very active lifestyle and you just feel good keep it around 150 then on running days lower your fat a little and up ur carbs to whatever you feel is best...keep a food journal and log the average amt of carbs and fat ur getting and youll eventually see what maximizes ur energy levels just make sure to use clean carb sources...sweet potatoes are king as far as im concerned..yams,white/wild rice and quinoa work well too! primal means no grains no junk...you might get a good boost out of keeping your protein intake high instead of fat it depends on ur body! as for the cholesterol just eat clean and dont even think about it...so long as the food your intaking is good cholesterol is unimportant no matter what you hear! you need it!

hey btw guys i know its pretty off topic but why is running bad for you?
    how did grok hunt animals if not by running? i mean sure at some point they could throw a spear at the animal and then it will die fo itself or u have to sprint after it and take it down, but.. the first weapons were invented 200,000 years ago, and human exist for like 2 milion years? how did we hunt animals then? from what i understand, we ran after them, ran and ran and ran until they fell out of exhaustion.
    if we did realy do it, it means our bodies are meant to run, and alot.

MetalMayhem is offline Member
    don't worry about "the dangers of running". Just do it especially if you enjoy it. Cases against overdoing it:
    A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) | Mark's Daily Apple
    Dear Mark: Chronic Cardio | Mark's Daily Apple

but 3 times a week is probably NOT chronic. either way, track runners, etc run everyday. I think the main thing to remember is that heavy lifting and sprinting can be much more beneficial and good for you with less time involved. but if you like running, then do it.

I don't really have an answer for you about the cholesterol, but I do have a question about SATURATED fat. I've heard on paleo blogs before that saturated fat in itself is obviously not bad, but the problems arise when it paired with grains/and or carbs (help me figure out which!) and thats why it has been linked to bad health. Can somebody shed some light on this??

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saarx1 View Post
    Oh cause i saw the movie "fat head" and it says that limiting ur carbs is what makes the cholesterol u eat to be good cholesterol and if u dont limit ur carbs it becomes bad cholesterol, or somthing like that.
    OK, I see where you are confused.

The cholesterol you eat has very little to do with the cholesterol in your blood. Your body makes 80-90% of the cholesterol that is measured when you have a cholesterol test.

When your cholesterol is measured, what you are most concerned with is your HDL ("good" cholesterol) and triglycerides. Eating carbs will make your tri's go up, you want them down (under 100 is where you should be on a primal diet). Eating saturated fat will make your HDL go up, this is good, you want it to be at least 60, higher is better. If those two measurements are good, your LDL number is meaningless becuase it is very likely to be large and fluffy and harmless.

Not sure where the low-fat while running recommendation is coming from, never heard that one.

Does that make sense?

PrimalCon New York
    so in order to have low tri's i need to lower my carbs, but if lets say i eat 200g of carbs, and i run for an hour on that same day, i obviously burn some of the carbs, so after burning then does it still count i ate too much carbs and my tri's will rise or because i burned it my tri's will stay low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast