Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Pudding

Black Pudding

Shop Now
    So while on vacation recently we stayed at an Irish hotel in NY. With breakfast they served a black pudding, aka blood pudding, aka blood sausage (they also had a white version as well). It had some grains in it (looked like barley), but it was a very small piece so I gave it a tentative try.

WOW...I was blown away, it was SOOOO good. None of the flavors I expected at all, it was so flavorful and delicious.

So now I am curious, does anyone in the US have a recommendation for a source of blood sausage (irish or otherwise....since some versions do not contain grains)? I have no clue where I could find it locally, but I am starting to poke around some of the more ethnic butcher shops or restaurants that also sell products. Any other ideas? Maybe a really fool proof recipe (I can honestly say I am scared if I make some of these types of things though, I will never eat it again if you know what I mean).

Also, what should I look for or avoid when picking something?

As a side question, does anyone know if there is a good nutritional value to this type of product (other then iron)? I am TRYING to expand my palate on the nose to tail concept..... trying.

I can't find a way to get blood short of killing the animal myself (which I'd love to know how to do, but don't). Dang feds...
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Hi, I am Irish and know what you mean about Black pudding - it's great stuff!

A quick internet search gave me this Gluten Free Black Pudding Complete Mix 1.5kg Home User Pack A UK company who who a dried mix for black pudding and the casings by post. It does contain starch in the form of potatoes but I would suggest getting it and then experimenting - the website gives the list of ingredients - if you are of an experimental type of mind you might look at that.

I am pretty sure, though that there are Irish companies who to export to the states - there are websites to cater for the ex-pat Irish who can't bear to be without their 'proper' foods, you might try them. (sorry, haven't time to google for you, rushing out to work) I will have a look later.

I love black pudding and it is easy to get here in the UK. I rarely eat it though - because of the grain content. If I could find a gluten free source I'd eat that.

In UK the filler is usually oatmeal. If you are happy with that then fine. Spanish black pudding uses white rice as a filler and if you make it yourself the blood is available in the supermarkets (!!) in quart bottles!

Basically you just need a filler of some sort to absorb the blood so it can congeal around something to a solid form when the pudding is first cooked.

You could for example mix the blood with a very dry potato mash to form a sloppy flat cake then fry it!

(ps the flavour comes from the herbs, spices and added pork fat.)
    Last edited by localad; 07-22-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

You might be able to find it at an Asian market. Pig's blood cake and duck's blood soup are very common snacks/dishes over there.

Not sure if you have a Portuguese community out there, but they make blood pudding. I can find it in grocery stores here, but we have a HUGE Portuguese community (for a century and a half, at least!) I really am not sure what the binder is, I will check around.

The recipe I came across uses meat (pork) as a binder, no grains...so you might want to look for Portuguese blood sausage!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I can't find a way to get blood short of killing the animal myself (which I'd love to know how to do, but don't). Dang feds...
    Really? I can find it in any ethnic grocery around here. Usually pig, cow, and chicken blood frozen.

Shop Now
    It's strange - we can't get the tongue from the cows we buy from GA processors, but we can get it from TN processors. And restaurants & grocers can buy it from out-of-state processors and sell it. Same with blood pudding, I presume. But the GA processor is inspected by USDA, not state authorities. I have no idea what the deal is.

I just want the blood, brains, intestines, sweetbreads, and tongue from the whole cows and pigs I buy, instead of them going to the dump!
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***