Thread: Another IF question page

Glenn is offline Senior Member

Another IF question

Primal Fuel
    Wasn't really sure where to put this one, it has to do with both fitness and nutrition I believe, so I just picked one. First of all, I know IF is a touchy subject here (or it seems anyway) I just want to say that I do a 24 hour fast twice a week, on Tuesday and Saturdays. These are 8pm to 8pm fast, so I eat everyday. I feel it doesn't harm me and I haven't seen or felt any harmful effects from it.

I've added a nice chunk of calories since I started primal in April. I started right at 2,000 calories a day. During this time I was doing stronglifts 5x5, I really enjoyed this program, but I also stalled on it pretty hard. Just complete mental and physical exhaustion. I think this had to do with the low calories and not giving myself a break for 3 months. I messed around with another routine and I dunno what it is but I'm just drawn back to stronglifts, I just love lifting heavy (for the most part).

Anyway, for most of this past month I've been getting about 2,500 calories a day. I've also added in a good bit of carbs, I'm eating upwards of 78g from romaine lettuce, bananas, and a cup of milk. I also save them for before and after my lifting. I'm about to start stronglifts again and I think those extra calories and carbs will really come in handy. I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I lift at 7:00pm and have my final and biggest meal of the day right after.

My question is, do you think that fasting the day after heavy lifting will effect recovery and growth in anyway?

So for example, Monday I would lift at 7:00pm, eat my final meal right after at 8:00pm, then fast until 8:00pm on Tuesday. Sorry for rambling on, I just wanted to provide enough information.
    Height: 6'2
    Primal start date: April 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 300.4 lbs
    Current Weight: 226 lbs (1/16/2012)
    Goal weight: 205 lbs
    Total lost so far: 74.4 lbs

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Wait a second

You stalled on your lifting progress

And now you want to IF?

Get your priorities straight

IF pointless anyway
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I was IFing the whole time. Made great progress on all my lifts, just didn't take a break after a little more then 12 weeks of constant progression. I think that really did me in.

I guess just to separate the question from the big post: After lifting heavy and having a nice post workout meal, will going the next 20-24 hours without food negatively effect recovery and growth?
    Last edited by Glenn; 07-21-2011 at 08:05 PM.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I was IFing the whole time. Made great progress on all my lifts, just didn't take a break after a little more then 12 weeks of constant progression. I think that really did me in.

I guess just to separate the question from the big post: After lifting heavy and having a nice post workout meal, will going the next 20-24 hours without food negatively effect recovery and growth?
    Then just stop IF'ing if you care about progress with the weights. I'm speaking from experience. And yes it will affect your growth.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure so just asking - wouldn't heavy lifting be preferable on a fast day and then replenish the next day?
    IF is definitely a touchy subject.
    Your progress since April is fantastic.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Yes, IF will stall your weight lifting. IF is really meant for losing the last few pounds, the last couple percentage points of body fat.

If you are lifting heavy, you could perhaps stand for more carbs, but you'll have to play with it and see how your body responds.

Yea, I've been messing with things recently. Adding in a good amount of carbs on lifting days. I'm not lifting heavy to really gain huge amounts of muscle, it's mainly to preserve and maybe build a little while I get down to my goal weight of 215 lbs. I figured once I got down to that, then I will set new goals and tweak things from there.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Switch your IF approach so that you don't spend too many hours unfed. I don't believe it negatively affects your progress but psychologically eating after a day of lifting is more gratifying. I've been consistently getting stronger despite daily fasts... however, I don't do SL and can't measure my progress numerically because I don't do many bar-bell lifts. I can tell you that I can move more weight strapped on me though.

You're already eating post workout which is what most experts stress (and even there you run into conflicting schools of thought, some will argue post workout nutrition is BS and that general nutrition is the only thing that matters. Some say if you don't eat directly PWO you will have girly muscles, or will die on your way home due decaying muscle mass)

I've been on both sides, and there's no real difference that I could tell. The only thing that HAS made a difference is carb-cycling around my workouts (eating more carbs on workout days, the bulk of them PWO but not always RIGHT after, sometimes an hour or two after as directed by hunger. I have tried eating when not hungry and it never feels right)

Muscles require proper nutrition to be sure, but your issues with SL may have stemmed from a lack of de-loading which you didn't mention. Recalling from memory, the creator of SL (as well as others) says once you stall in a lift you should de-load for a few weeks then tackle that stalling weight again. Your nutrition alone shouldn't cause you to stall so hard.

Also, maybe consider moving to a 3x5 approach once you hit heavier weights, to me the 5x5 scheme seems excessive when you're up there in weight BUT remember again that my preferred lifting style doesn't include barbells and therefore I'm not speaking from experience and am biased.

Finally, a lot of repair happens when you're resting as you are most likely aware, and fasting allows the body to repair further since it doesn't have to "waste time" with digestion. I think our society is a little neurotic about precise nutrient timing around workouts, and in my experience it's really more about how consistent you are with lifting than how soon you eat after workouts/etc.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Wasn't really sure where to put this one, it has to do with both fitness and nutrition I believe, so I just picked one. First of all, I know IF is a touchy subject here (or it seems anyway) I just want to say that I do a 24 hour fast twice a week, on Tuesday and Saturdays. These are 8pm to 8pm fast, so I eat everyday. I feel it doesn't harm me and I haven't seen or felt any harmful effects from it.

I've added a nice chunk of calories since I started primal in April. I started right at 2,000 calories a day. During this time I was doing stronglifts 5x5, I really enjoyed this program, but I also stalled on it pretty hard. Just complete mental and physical exhaustion. I think this had to do with the low calories and not giving myself a break for 3 months. I messed around with another routine and I dunno what it is but I'm just drawn back to stronglifts, I just love lifting heavy (for the most part).

Anyway, for most of this past month I've been getting about 2,500 calories a day. I've also added in a good bit of carbs, I'm eating upwards of 78g from romaine lettuce, bananas, and a cup of milk. I also save them for before and after my lifting. I'm about to start stronglifts again and I think those extra calories and carbs will really come in handy. I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I lift at 7:00pm and have my final and biggest meal of the day right after.

My question is, do you think that fasting the day after heavy lifting will effect recovery and growth in anyway?

So for example, Monday I would lift at 7:00pm, eat my final meal right after at 8:00pm, then fast until 8:00pm on Tuesday. Sorry for rambling on, I just wanted to provide enough information.
    I love IF, but not if you are going for mass. Also, you will benefit from more carbs, but the ones you listed aren't great. Sweet potatoes, other starchy root veg, or IMO even better, white potatoes and white rice.