Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I know this diet is right for me? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

How do I know this diet is right for me?

I am really struggling with primal blueprint. I used to be vegan but because I have a hard time digesting beans/tofu I decided to switch over. However, how do I know that this is the healthiest way to eat?

I guess what I am asking is if there is anyone out there that can explain their experiences with vegan vs. blueprint? I can't decide what makes me feel better or not, and there is just too much information out there that convinces me to go either way (china study for example, and many doctors in Europe I know treat cancer/illness using very low protein, mostly vegetarian diets so I am totally confused!!!!) Any help??

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I've never been a vegan, but I do know the China study has been debunked pretty soundly. I'm not sure why people continue to cite it.

But there are a lot of ex-vegans on here, so I'm sure you'll get some better answers from them.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    I honestly can't say other than when I discovered Primal Blueprint, it just felt right. All my life, I've enjoyed what other people would call the nasty bits of meat. I would secretly eat the fat on meat (and feel guilty about it too), the skin on chicken, the cartilage, marrow, etc. Even the gristle if I could chew it. I've always craved fat and was blown away when I realized this was the way I was meant to eat. All those years of deprivation--ugh.

Also, I've always loved vegetables. Even as a child, I loved them. If my Mom was making slaw, she'd give me the core of the cabbage to gnaw on and I'd feel like someone just gave me a candy bar.

As I grew up I fell prey to carbohydrates in the form of chips, pasta, bread and sugar and got addicted. I would eat a little and would immediately want more. Then I'd crave something salty...then something sweet...then something salty...then something sweet..... It was a vicious cycle and I felt miserable.

Now I'm listening to my body, and what it's telling me to eat is what is actually Primal. Oh sure, I miss bread and sweets sometimes, but the few times I have indulged my body lets me know I did a bad thing.

Plus the data supports this diet. I can't tell you what you will experience. I never even flirted with a vegan lifestyle so I don't know what it's like to start a diet like this from that perspective.

All I can tell you is to listen to your body.

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    I seriously can say that I absolutely LOVE vegetables, which is maybe why this diet is hard for me? I never eat junk, I had to give up gluten and dairy because I have severe stomach problems because of them. I eat dark chocolate, which is my only vice. I don't go overboard. So thinking of having to cut out fruit (because of sugar), switch to pure protein and less vegetables because of carbs, up the fat etc, is just kind of the opposite of what I want to do. But if its for health then I am willing to do it, but again, you can see that I am completely torn here.

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables are the most important part of being Primal! No need to give them up--in fact, eat all you want! Just make sure they are organic (if possible) and fresh. I have a Big Ass Salad every day for lunch. Make sure you read the book--all will be revealed.

peril is offline Senior Member
    WTF. I eat more vegetables than ever
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    WTF. I eat more vegetables than ever
    Yep, me too. And veggies that I didn't even know existed before!

(Or maybe I was just too skeered to try them)
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Barb is offline Senior Member
    The only things you have to give up are grains, beans, tofu, and vegetable seed oils. If you are not trying to lose weight, the PB allows for 150g of carbs - which adds up to a heck of a lot of vegetables, including some potatoes here and there and some fruit every day - esp if you aren't eating dairy! Mostly what you are adding back into your diet is meat, fish, eggs, and healthy fats from animals or fruit (coconut, olives, and avocados are fruit).

You can also do some research to discover that it is high carb diets that are associated with cancer growth. Recommend you read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" for the scoop on all the harm high carb diets can do including excellent research on cancer, high blood pressure, Alzheimer's, heart disease as well as diabetes. Good luck with it!

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Oh my goodness. I've been struggling with this concept for years now. Too much meat does not make me feel good. I've tried the all fruit diet and get bloated and pain in my guts. Whats the best diet for longevity and health? I find Dr Bass website also helpfull.

However, after much thinking, I've decieded the most important diet concept is this: (for me): perhaps its not so much what we eat, but what we are NOT eating. Grains (all plant reproductive seeds) and dairy being the most problematic for most people. Don't eat those.. you have no choice but to eat Meat, Veggies and fruit because there is not much else to choose from (junk is not food). So I suppose it comes down to the ratio of those natural human foods. I'm still see-sawing abit between how much meat and fruit.l Veggies are not the problem for me. Listening to ones body really is the best thing we can do!

davem is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm oft surprised by the ever pervasive belief that this method of eating is some odd pseudo Atkins, veg are bad mm Kay, approach.

Veg is the core of intake, protein for muscle and fat to provide fuel. I eat more veg now than ever. In fact I think I've eaten more vegetables since may than I did in all of 2010
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast