Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What's cooking?? Anyone trying a new dish or keep making a favorite?? page 13

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Leida- how long does it take and does the package with the grains explain exactly HOW to do this? I saw a package at the local health food store and thought to ask before purchasing. Quark made from coconut milk sounds intriguing!!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have never tried coconut before, but my milk kefir was easy. I had grains, not a starter kit from some guy who sold them in my place (through a canadian version of Craiglist), put them into a wide-mouthed glass measuring cup with milk, and made kefir for my smoothies for a while (back home we always drunk kefir with sugar and/or berries, since it is too acidic on its own (or used it to make cold soups/liquidy salads with cucmbers, radishes, dil and onions and sometimes quark, if unsweetened). In a while, my grains multiplied enough to produce quark (it needs to be enough to 'process at least 2 litres of milk for the troubles, because is yield is ~ 1 cup of quark to 2 cups of milk). So, I let stand till it went into yogurt stage (whey separates from curds), about 2 days, instead of kefir stage (which is about 1 day), mixing it with a wooden spoon once in a while. Then I do the usual routine, just like back home, lol. Fish the grains out with a fork, and put the works on the low setting on the stove (not simmer, lower), and let it finish separating for 40 min to 1 hour, avoiding overheating (if it overheats and cooks curds, it becomes grainy, and I like it soft). Once that's done, I use my trusty wooden spoon to drain off as much liquid without losing any solids as I can, and dump the rest into a large sieve lined with a paper towel. If I don't have time to watch it, I put the sieve over the rinsed pot in which it curdled up & was heated up & move into the fridge. If I have time, I just keep it draining directly over the sink to catch my happy moment when it has enough moisture left to suit my liking. The Germans mix in cream in, I believe, but I don't like fatty dairy, so I do skim.

Chicken soup for us tonight, since the baby asked for it yesterday. Gotta get home early to get it going
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

put a chicken in the crockpot for tonight- YUM! It is a real big chicken so.. lots of leftovers!!
    Karin

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Last night's awesome dinner:

Grilled skirt steak
    Sauteed Vidalia onions and orange bell peppers
    Tiny potatoes cooked in bacon fat with rosemary
    Homegrown Cherokee Purple Tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and basil

quickie fabu breakfast..

fried up some hamburger this morning and threw in some shredded slaw mix.. satisfying and tasty too!
    Karin

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Trying to decide what to do with the 'marinating' steak I marinated this morning w olive oil, wine, ginger, garlic and sechewan peppers. I have 3 options:

-classic stir-fry w mushrooms, onions, broccoli, carrots and bell pepeprs
    -stir-fried beef with a side of broiled eggplant and zuccini chips
    -Beef ratatouille

Mmgh, descisions, descisions.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Savannah is offline Member
    Made this last night, and it turned out so well I have to share:

Lamb with Blackberry Reduction for One

(disclaimer: I'm NOT a chef, and I didn't follow a recipe so I apologize in advance for the vague amounts/directions; On the bright side, if I made this slapdash with negligible cooking skills, someone who's a pro in the kitchen could make a delicious meal even better!)

Total time: 1 hour
    Active "chopping, stirring, etc" time: 10/15 minutes

Step 1:
    2 lamb chops, bone in, defrosted
    juice of 1/2 a lemon
    salt & pepper
    3 good shakes dried rosemary (obviously you could use fresh, just up the amount)
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Generously coat lamb chops with S&P, then combine remaining ingredients in bowl or ziplock bag, let marinate for awhile (I waited about an hour, but overnight would be great!)

Step 2:
    Meanwhile combine:

1 ounce blackberries
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon honey
    dash of salt and pepper

in a saucepan/wok, turn heat on low and let simmer while the lamb marinates, 30/45 minutes-- I mashed the berries about 15 minutes in and added another shake or two of dried rosemary about 30 minutes in. If the sauce reduces too quickly, add another bit of water if the lamb's still marinating (if you were more of a planner and the lamb's been ready for ages, pat yourself on the back and move on to the next step!

Step 3:

When the blackberry balsamic reduction is...um, reduced (somewhere around the consistency of a jam) scoop it out of the pan and set aside (I put it in a little ramekin). There should still be a coating of blackberry reduction on the pan after you've scooped most of it out--turn the heat up to med. high, wait for the skillet to get hot then add the lamb and the marinade. Maybe add another drizzle of olive-oil if needed. My chopped cooked to med. rare in 3 1/2 minutes on each side. When the lamb is done (I cut into it to test, but a meat thermometer would be best), set aside and let it rest for 2-5 minutes (this will be hard because your kitchen will smell glorious by now)

Step LAST:

Cut up the lamb, drizzle the reduction over the slices or use as a dipping sauce and prepare for a FLAVOR EXPLOSION in your mouth.

Protein: 28g
    Carbs: 10.8 grams (with a side of broccoli, the whole meal still came out under 20g)
    Fat: 43g (I didn't know how to account on Fitday for trimming the chops, so this is the max fat if you weren't to trim it at all.)

Hope other people enjoy this as much as I did! If you want to be even more healthy you could eliminate the honey ... but I liked the added sweetness with the salty lamb and rosemary

mamagault is offline Member
    "ratatouille"

onions
    green peppers
    eggplant (the little skinny ones)
    zucchini
    tomatoes
    okra
    s&p
    thyme leaves
    parsley
    coconut oil

Dice onions, thinly slice peppers, chop zucchini, slice eggplant, chop tomatoes, slice okra. Salt eggplant slices and set aside.

Saute onions and peppers in coconut oil until almost soft, add zucchini & cook until soft. Remove from pan & put in baking dish. Rinse eggplant and dry slices with clean paper towel. Add more oil to pan if needed & fry eggplant. Transfer to baking dish with onions and peppers. Toss in with okra and tomatoes, herbs, and s&p to taste. Bake in preheated 400* oven for about 30 minutes.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I tried something new this evening - a prawn curry in coconut milk.

I had two cans of coconut milk and having eaten one, this was a bit of a use-up meal. I really don't like coconut and this one proved it. Shame! The ingredients were all good and it looked fantastic, but I really didn't enjoy it. I guess it was a little like Thai Green Curry?

Paul- you know, I dont know why but curry just sets my teeth on edge.. maybe I never had it prepared correctly?? I notice a lot of folks eat a lot of curry though.. also.. you are eating rice?? Oh.. also.. love love your photography.. looks cookbook worthy
    Karin

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast