Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kettle Bell Workouts page

jpickett1968 Guest

Shop Now

I'm looking for suggestions from those who have had success with KB training. What workouts did you use or would recommend?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I'd also like info about this. I think they look "fun" (if weights are fun?) but worry about buying some to use myself at home because I'm scared my form will be off and I'll hurt myself without supervision of a trainer, at least at first.

Tips?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Tarlach is offline Member

I like the kettlebells and had no problems starting with them at home. I now have a few of them. Just read up on the exercises on the web first. There's plenty of stuff to watch on youtube for hints.

This workout is good (start at 34s to skip the BS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzo3LOwrShU

(and with a decent weight, will turn you into a sobbing mess in 8 minutes).

I did enjoy watching this video more though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy5uU7ku-Lo

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

primalclubber is offline Senior Member

I have been using kettlebells for over two years and I highly recommend them. I primarily use a 16kg but also have 20kg and 24kg kbs. For core and grip strength you can't beat them. I use long form exercises meaning 5-10 minute-long sets that, as Tarlach says, can leave you a sobbing mess. There is a reason why kettlebells are used by a lot of MMA fighters.

Being this is a ballistic movement with an unbalanced load, technique is key. On youtube, any videos from the Scott Sonnen, Steve Cotter, or Steve Maxwell are good for technique.

I personally started with Pavel Tsatsouline's "Enter the Kettlebell" which covers the basic swing, turkish get ups, cleans and snatches and is great for developing proper technique.

Turkish get ups (TGU), snatches and cleans and presses are my basic exercises. I also recently added Mace and Club-bells to my arsenal. Along with sprints and other bodyweight work, I rarely get to the gym anymore.

Here is some basic swing exercises with Steve Cotter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNaoELYlLfw

Here is Steve Cotter doing a TGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRBvom4Zrw

If you need a trainer, look for RKC-certified trainers, and they are all over the country. Avoid like the plague, any of those celebrity trainer's kettlebell videos, or the ones that come with the pink kettlebells (which are fine, btw), just throw the videos out as it is a sure way of injuring yourself.

musajen is offline Junior Member

I think you can get started with kettlebells fairly easily using the tons of instructional segments out on YouTube. One of my favorites is Kettlebell Athletics:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KettlebellAthletics

I've never had personal instruction on how to use them but I feel fairly proficient with them. Form is key. I just saw a really good instructional video on the kettlebell swing and will try to find that and post it.

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I started using kettlebells almost a month ago and the difference in strength is unbelievable. When I started, I could BARELY muster 5 pushups and was dead by the end of a 30 second wallsit/electric chair. Now I'm swinging, squatting, cleaning, pressing, pulling, and snatching like it's no big deal. Last night I did 20 pushups with my feet on top of a 16 or so inch chair like it was nothing. I'm actually considering getting the next weight up to intensify a lot of the more simple exercises for me.

The one that kills me, though, is the Turkish Get Up. I get to the very last step and either lose balance on the way up or I get intimidated by having only one foot on the ground, even if it's only for a split second. I'm definitely still using the 16kg bell for that until I master it.

So anyway, I can not recommend kettlebells enough - they're fun!

My favorite little routine is a high pull followed immediately by a snatch and I repeat those in succession until I get bored or can't do it anymore. Then I do it some more. It's such a fluid movement and is amazing for your upper body.

Form is very important with kettlebells because it's a swing exercise with an unbalanced weight. Once the form is set kettlebells are a great workout. Sara Cheatham, RKC Team Leader and Level II instructor wrote a great article for Dragon Door on the 9 most common mistakes she sees her personal training clients make with kettlebells.

The first time I tried a snatch, I jacked my shoulder due to poor form. This is from someone who has been athletic all his life. This article is a great checklist for those getting into kettlebells to check their form. I don't think anybody who is learning kettlebells is immune from these form breaks.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/415

elbohead Guest

Does anyone have suggestions as to how many to buy to get started? What weights, etc?

@elbohead. I suggest getting one to start as they can be a pricey investment. I started with a 16kg (35lbs) and find after two years to be a go-to weight for most exercises. I have 20kg and 24kg kbs as well although they come as heavy as 48kg and 52kg kbs for the hardcore swingers. Dragon Door or Russiankettlebells.com is a good source of info if you can ignore the incessant and silly marketing.

elbohead Guest

Thanks PC!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast