Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen?? page

jimtoo is offline Junior Member

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen??

Primal Fuel
    Do you adjust your diet on such hot days? All I want to consume are salads or smoothies (actually ice cream). The mornings are fine for my usual breakfast, but by evenings I'm sipping on kefir or having a salad. Would grok take a break during heat waves and eat less?

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Most animals slow down on food in the heat.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm working outside in the desert during monsoon season, so... yeah. It's just too hot to have any kind of appetite at all. Plus I'm drinking around a couple of gallons of water, which really fills you up.

Now the problem I have is that, once I get home and relaxed in the A/C for a couple of hours, my appetite comes back with a vengeance. I've actually been having trouble digesting my food after dinner, and I'm thinking it's because I eat nothing or maybe just a bite or two at a time for 20 hours, then expect my stomach to digest a day's worth of food in one sitting. I kind of figured out that's what was happening last night, so I'll be working on fixing it starting tonight.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jimtoo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I'm working outside in the desert during monsoon season,
    I was inspecting the roof of a high-rise building here in MI just as the temps hit 100. You're probably a little more used to that in the desert. I had a handful of cashews for lunch with zero interest of anything else except water, and my appetite was still low by dinner. Settled on a salad with cold hard-boiled eggs, but would have preferred to just sit in the shade with a bucket of ice cream...

I wonder if protein smoothies are the way to go for these heat waves?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I've been having protein smoothies for breakfast and not much else till dinner, which isn't a bad thing. I forced myself to eat a small lunch today because I start getting squirrelly.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I whipped up a protein smoothie for breakfast this morning too, but quickly realized that I shouldn't have put a whole banana in it. All I wanted to do was take a nap for a couple of hours after!

It's 9:00 at night here and it's still 34 deg. C (about 90F). This week we grilled chicken breasts and did a beef roast in the crockpot so we could cut them up and have them in salads. I haven't had any cooked starches for at least a week.

Thanks for the reminder about boiled eggs! I think that will be breakfast and maybe even lunch tomorrow
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, boiled eggs sounds like a good idea. For some reason I can eat them soft boiled even if fried they tend to gag me. For smoothies I just use frozen strawberries, whey and cream.

Paleobird Guest
    I've been making jello with rooibos tea and lime juice. The really stiff kind of jello you can pick up with your fingers. It's like edible iced tea and a good way to get some protein in on hot days.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I've been making jello with rooibos tea and lime juice. The really stiff kind of jello you can pick up with your fingers. It's like edible iced tea and a good way to get some protein in on hot days.
    I didn't realize there was protein in gelatin. That's a very interesting idea. How are you making that?

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Winter isn't exactly the time of year best associated with barbecue. If the heat is getting to you too much try eating more spicy foods. The spiciness ups your sweating which will cool down your body temperature.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast