Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG, if you haven't yet, try Kefir. page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

OMG, if you haven't yet, try Kefir.

Primal Fuel
    It's like the best part of yogurt concentrated into pure glory! I found the lowest sugar (plain, no flavor, only 4g sugar per 8 oz. serving) brand at my Co-op and tried it out, it's thick and satisfying. Of course, now I have to reevaluate my overall white liquid consumption. Between coconut milk, goat milk and kefir, I've got to do less of something!

mrsallaway is offline Junior Member
    Kefir has become my new favorite thing too. I'm contemplating making my own. It looks rather easy and since I've also started making my own creme fraiche, it's not that much different. I had my first batch of kefir at lunch and it turned out really good. I used the kefir starter from WF, but kefir grains are what you really want.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    It's like the best part of yogurt concentrated into pure glory! I found the lowest sugar (plain, no flavor, only 4g sugar per 8 oz. serving) brand at my Co-op and tried it out, it's thick and satisfying. Of course, now I have to reevaluate my overall white liquid consumption. Between coconut milk, goat milk and kefir, I've got to do less of something!
    Why not get some kefir grains and make goat milk kefir? Then you aren't increasing your white liquid intake but you are still getting your probiotics. Kefir grains are easily available on eBay.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Kefir not only is delicious, but works wonders on digestion.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Is that something that would be in a Walmart or is that health food only thing? I've never seen it...but that doesn't mean its not there. Also I've been wondering if they have Coconut oil at Walmart...never seen it but maybe just not looking in the right place?

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I can testify that making your own kefir is easy as hell. My kefir grains are finally activated after about a week getting them in the mail.

Kefir is great, I used to get bad gas all the time, it felt like my stomach was a dead place. Not anymore! Those probiotics make my stomach a good digestion spot.

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Is that something that would be in a Walmart or is that health food only thing? I've never seen it...but that doesn't mean its not there. Also I've been wondering if they have Coconut oil at Walmart...never seen it but maybe just not looking in the right place?
    Last time I went there (a year ago), they didn't have coconut oil or kefir...maybe they do now but I doubt it.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Where did you find kefir with only 4g of sugar per serving? All the ones I see are 11-12g. I've never had it before and I'd love to use it as a base for my ice cream to give it a try instead of heavy cream. If I use 50% kefir, 22g of sugar is more than I'd want to use. However, 8g is perfectly fine by me.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Kefir was dairy based right? Is the sugar from the Milk it comes from or do they add sugar in after the process. I'll go google kefir...I'm sure wiki will have something about how its made. Feel free to post how its made if anyone wants to though...as I'm sure there is more than one method.

mrsallaway is offline Junior Member
    From what I can tell, if you have kefir grains, you place them into a glass container and add your beverage of choice (milk, coconut milk, another dairy beverage alternative) and let it set out (away from direct sunlight) with a lid that's loosely placed on top to let out gases. Let it sit for 24 or so hours depending on how sour you want it. When it's done, strain out the kefir and reuse your kefir grains....which will eventually grow to make new grains, which you can give away, sell or save. I believe that's it in a nutshell. I plan to order kefir grains from amazon once I get back from my trip.

Along the same lines of kefir, although not full of probiotics but tasty nonetheless is creme fraiche. That's just taking heavy whipping cream and adding some buttermilk (I started with 2 cups cream to 2 TBSP buttermilk or add more to make it more sour). Again, leave it out for 24 hours and then place in the refrigerator to chill. It goes great with berries or as a dip for veggies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast