Thread: Craving fat...bad? page

syzchan is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I'm craving fat and would rather have some butter than the lean chicken in front of me. Should I be concerned at all with cravings? Just cause, I don't even recall having a craving for lean meat...

Edit: Also, I should add that I just ate a salmon fillet (bout 115g) with a whole avocado...

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

I think that you're craving fat is a good thing. I'm still craving sweets every now and then, but it seems to becoming replaced by craving fat and grease. It's just your body getting used to your new diet.

That is a lot of food to eat, btw. Are you really still hungry after all that?

allie Guest

A few days ago I felt the urge to nibble on dark chocolate and nuts... turns out I wanted steak. I guess I needed some saturated fat? When I had a little sirloin it hit the spot.

However, other days I find coconut oil slightly nauseating and feel content with lighter food like turkey breast and cottage cheese.

Hah. Anyway, it's good to crave fat. It's very nutritious and necessary for our bodies to function. Cravings can sometimes be tricky to figure out though.

How about a chicken thigh/drumstick? Or some beef? Get some saturated animal fat in ya.

syzchan is offline Member

I ended up skipping on the lean chicken and because it's absolutely miserable outside, had some pork rinds dipped in high-fat yogurt (we're talking 27% fat, oh yeah baby!). Ate till I was just satisfied and feel great =)

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

wow, I cant find yogurt higher than 18% fat.

Like kongluirong said, its definitely beats a sugar craving. Next time you may try food with a higher fat/protein ratio than salmon, like pork belly.

I just discovered coconut butter, ate it by the spoonfuls, and now feel fat-queasy.

When I eat fruits (even avocado, a fatty one), the carbs seem to raise my blood sugar and make me hungrier.

nina_70 Guest

syzchan - I think eating fat is a healthy and good thing. So, nothing wrong w/ a little fat craving

Iceskater - take it easy on eating alot of fat at once If you've been eating lower-fat for a long time prior to going Primal, your gallbladder takes a little while to 'get up to speed' producing the bile needed for fat digestion. So, you might get queasy from that.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

agreed on the gallbladder thing.

When I was on my calorie-counting, high-carb, low/no-fat diet, I splurged and ate some cornbread - made with bacon grease (the only way I'd make it - just seems RIGHT) and cheddar cheese and smothered in butter.

OMG WORST PAIN EVER... if you have never experienced gallbladder pain, just be thankful. It's so awful. I thought something inside me was going to explode and I'd have to go to the emergency room.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Niklas Guest

If you crave fat you crave energy

Protein is a poor source of energy and the two alternatives are fat or carbohydrates. If your carbohydrate intake is low and you consume lot of energy you will always crave either fat or carbohydrates.

Niklas Guest

<I just discovered coconut butter, ate it by the spoonfuls, and now feel fat-queasy>

I think we should listen to what our body wants. There are times when we need more fat and eat lot of it, then we need less fat and we eat more veggies and less fat. It&#39;s the same with exercise there are times where I want to walk and time when I just want to lift weights, then I become tired of just weight and was to jump rope.

Learning works in the same way. We&#39;re supposed to spend hours collecting information and then resting our mind for few days as our brain processes the data.

It&#39;s called oversaturation and it&#39;s a cyclical process like everything in human nature and this planet.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

It&#39;s been really cold in SF the last few days, and I live in a drafty old building, so it&#39;s impossible to keep my apartment warm. The first night I was just dying; the second night was better...but then the fat cravings hit. I shaved off a couple of pats of pastured butter about an hour before going to bed, and they tasted incredible!!

I slept much warmer that night. Hmmmm....