Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Constant Hunger page

Xfitgurl16 is offline Junior Member

Constant Hunger

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

I am on day 2 of the Whole 30 Challenge. The reason I am starting this is because last time I did this I had some positive results in the end..my body didn't change A TON but my energy was up and I felt good overall. Recently my weight has crept back up by being a little lazy with the diet..mainly adding in alcohol and protein bars. I have a prbolem where I am constantly hungry but know that if I am trying to lean out I just can't snack..even if it is paleo. I was curious if anyone else experiences this with this style of living.

For example, I ate 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 of a green bell pepper today for breakfast at about 7:30 and I am already hungry. I am trying to listen to my body to see if I am just hungry or if it is all in my mind.

What are ways you all can tell if your body is truly hungry, and if it is constantly hungry, what are foods that you are eating besides almonds or nuts?

Thanks!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    You could try upping protein some at breakfast or if you start feeling hungry, drink some cold water. A lot of times, feelings of hunger is a way of signalling to your body that you are thirsty.
    Georgette

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    You've barely eaten anything let alone much in the way of fat so no wonder you are hungry. On top of that you are Crossfitting!? Just eat some more if you are hungry, eat some meat, and keep the yolks. I don't remember anything about Whole 30 eschewing egg yolks. Actually I am pretty sure Melissa would encourage the whole egg.

Xfitgurl16 is offline Junior Member
    At Marnee, how much more should I be eating? Keep in mind that I am trying to lean out as well.

I appreciate the responses!

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    I agree that eating until you are satisfied vs. eating enough to still lose weight is a tricky balancing act. I've done xfit for a while and find that on my metcon days, my intake is going to be way higher. For example, if I was using your menu above, it would be more like:

4 whole eggs, no egg whites, 1 whole avocado, 1/2 of a green bell pepper and then some sort of meat, all cooked in bacon fat.

For me, that was enough food just to satisfy me and keep me from losing TOO MUCH weight. My advice is to try upping the protein and fat and seeing how you feel then.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnee View Post
    You've barely eaten anything let alone much in the way of fat so no wonder you are hungry. On top of that you are Crossfitting!? Just eat some more if you are hungry, eat some meat, and keep the yolks. I don't remember anything about Whole 30 eschewing egg yolks. Actually I am pretty sure Melissa would encourage the whole egg.
    +1

If anything, pitch the whites.

Melly Sue is offline Junior Member

My own hunger journey

What you should be eating depends on a lot of factors, so it's difficult to answer just off the cuff. Of course, in general, you should be eating nice protein, fat, and vegetables.

I have been cursed with extreme hunger all my life--I could not believe how other people could get through a day without eating. "Don't you feel hungry?" I would ask them. "Not really--just a bit headachey, maybe," they'd say. I finally discovered that I feel hunger in a very different way from them: a painful gnawing in my abdomen.

There was a major change for me after I cut out sugar and refined grains. Slowly I transitioned from eating 6 meals a day to the typical 3. While I still feel hunger, the painful gnawing has diminished, and I can understand the difference between having an empty stomach and actually needing to refuel. This took me about 2-3 months to perceive and understand.

For breakfast this morning (at 7:30), I had a strip of bacon, two eggs, and half a broccoli, plus a cup of tea. Between 10 and 10:30, I noticed that I was feeling hungry, but I knew that it wasn't true hunger.

If you are feeling ravenous, since you are just starting a new way of eating, I'd say go ahead and eat just a little according to the allowed foods of your plan. Get some veggies for bulk. Also, drink something--maybe just hot water with lemon, because that will fill your stomach and keep you well hydrated. I hope that once your body realizes that it's getting all the nutrients it needs, your hunger cues will balance out.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    If you're hungry you should eat food until you're not hungry anymore. Repeat forever.

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    I have days where I feel hungry all day and no amount of vegetable matter will satisfy. I'm not sure if it's a carb addiction, or perhaps some people need a little of that carb "bulk." I definitely feel more full with a little carb.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You should provide a little more info for starters- age, weight, height, and a brief past history of your weight. This will help us figure things out a bit better.

Next, ditch the scale. It's not a good indicator of your health.

Don't eat the egg whites without the yolk. There's nothing useful in the whites but a tiny bit of protein. All the fat and nutrients are in the yolks. Eat them.

Don't be afraid to eat more if you feel hungry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast