Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing too much cardio? page

andygt02 is offline Junior Member

Am I doing too much cardio?

Primal Fuel
    I've read about avoiding "chronic cardio" here on MDA. At 27, I've been mostly sendentry throughout my life. About a month ago I began biking to and from work, about 3-4 times a week. It's 7 miles each way for a total of 14 miles, and I keep the pace fairly easy going - really only feel it on the hills. I like the feel this gives my legs (at 122 lbs I have very little muscle, so any workout is toning them). Would this fall into the chronic cardio range?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    No.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    No! And ''toning'' is a myth. There is muscle, or there isn't.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum andy!

The general guideline is that if you're below 75% of your max heart rate, you can consider it "moving slowly" which you should do as much as possible. If you're keeping an easy pace, it's probably fine.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Keep on riding....enjoy the fresh air....enjoy the movement.....and enjoy not being a slave too the car!

andygt02 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys! It's good to know something I enjoy fits into the PB. I made the switch a few weeks back and completely cut out grains, milk, and excess sugar. I'm still working on getting totally to grass fed meat and eggs (looking for a good source), but already I feel much more awake and alert than I was before. Perhaps my only excess: I got to have a cup of plain full fat greek yogurt with a handful of blueberries each day. Love the stuff!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're off to a great start. You don't have to cut out the Greek yogurt. Primal allows dairy if you tolerate it well, especially the good stuff like Greek yogurt, cheese, and butter, where the sugar is lower and the protein and fat higher. Paleo is the style that prohibits all dairy.

Also, grassfed meat and pastured eggs are indeed awesome, but from what I've learned, they are not necessary to reap 90% of the benefits of eating Primal. The most important things are elimination of grains, excess sugar, and seed oils (check this out if you haven't already: Archevore - Archevore Diet)

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    I like to run 5Ks. I don't train too hard for them and I'm not very fast. I just like that it's like a party where everyone runs. Is that too much cardio? It's only 3 miles.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    a 5k is not chronic cardio. riding a bike 7 miles is not chronic cardio. I think too many people here worry too much about cardio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast