Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo and alcohol - allowed or not? page

FitChutney is offline Junior Member

Paleo and alcohol - allowed or not?

Hellos

I realise that alcohol isn't anti-Paleo per se but I started Paleo to improve my health and I don't really want to stop drinking altogether. I love real ale, especially stouts and porters (dark beers are very high in antioxidants, which are even more readily available than the ones in red wine). My initial worry was there was so many carbs in beer but I guess that in comparison there isn’t as many as you’d find in bread, pasta or bananas? I've also tried armagnac, cognac, and bourbon whiskey which has some positive benefits too. Phenolic constituents, furans, and total antioxida... [J Agric Food Chem. 1999] - PubMed result

Oh and I have found that I get drunk quicker too, probably if you are in ketoisis I assume?

Do you drink, or have you stopped or cut back considerably since going Paleo? Has Paleo has had an impact on your alcohol consumption?

BobtheBuilder is offline Junior Member
    I would guess that the anti-nutrients in the grains used to make beer would still be present in the beer...can anyone confirm this? Still, I think a beer or two occasionally can't be that bad...

js290 is offline Senior Member

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    Just take it in your 20%. Real ale or red wine is going to be the least harmful for you than say, an alcopop.

buck1s is offline Junior Member
    I just factor in my glass of wine every night to my carb allowance. I started learning about/collecting wine before I started eating paleo, and for me, it's a breeze to incorporate.

Summer E is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheBuilder View Post
    I would guess that the anti-nutrients in the grains used to make beer would still be present in the beer...can anyone confirm this? Still, I think a beer or two occasionally can't be that bad...
    I work in enzymes, and fermentation is my bag, baby! Beer contains gluten, and therefore beer is NOT paleo-friendly, though there are companies that do make gluten free beers (I have no idea how those taste, though be aware that those beers are still made with other grains). The gluten comes from barley (and wheat if its a wheat beer). Many people will try to argue saying that during the fermentation process, the starches and proteins from barley are all broken down, but it's impossible to say how complete this process is without assaying (it's likely some intact gluten carries over into the final product). Most companies don't/won't divulge that information readily. Plus, it varies from batch to batch that it'd be difficult to yield consistent results. In addition, many assaying techniques only detect down to what's called a "level of detection," which can be a small number, but celiacs (and paleos) operate on a zero-tolerance gluten policy, so even though an assay may detect down to 2ppm (parts per million), even 1ppm may damage the intestinal lining. In short, beer is not paleo due to the gluten, but if you're not a celiac and you follow paleo 90/10 (paleo/not paleo), it really shouldn't hurt. Just make it a treat and not every night.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FitChutney View Post
    I love real ale, especially stouts and porters (dark beers are very high in antioxidants, which are even more readily available than the ones in red wine). My initial worry was there was so many carbs in beer but I guess that in comparison there isn’t as many as you’d find in bread, pasta or bananas?
    As you say alcohol is problematic, but it's not the only issue here. There are sugars in beer that aren't fermented out—which is why it tastes sweet. It's interesting that the first self-consciously low-carb dieter, William Banting, back in the 19th century was actually allowed several drinks a day by his doctor but told to lay off sugar, bread, potatoes, and beer. Really the advice hasn't changed. People refer to "beer belly" for a reason!

Interestingly, the SCD people, who work with dietary interventions with people with chronic digestive problems warn them not to drink beer because some of the sugars you get in it are not easily digestible, so that they tend instead to feed bad bacteria:

Beer

It strikes me that this could well explain the bloating that tends to follow a few pints.

Anyway, I think real ale is a far better option than industrialised beer—at least there are some live enzymes and whatnot in it. However, in all honesty it's probably better replaced with dry wine or a good quality organic cider. Certainly people who are overweight would do best to avoid it.

Tom Naughton found that, even though he was an ex-alcoholic, he could have a drink or two now and then and then just stop there after he'd switched to a low-carb diet. That desire to keep going back for another tends to drop off when you're getting most of your energy off fat instead:

Fat Head » Primal Body, Primal Mind, Primal Tools

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member
    I adore beer, but haven't been drinking much these days. I limit alcohol to one day a week, and on that day drink as much as I want (within reason - usually only a couple drinks). I've been substituting the Nor-Cal Margarita (google it) a little bit, but I'll still drink the odd beer here or there.

That's what has worked for me. There is not a chance I'd ever give up beer altogether.

-adam

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    I recently stopped drinking as an experiment to see how it affects my body, progress, strength etc. I have to say I feel sooooo much better, If your after a specific goal I would at least cut it down to like one or two drinks once or twice a week tops. And then I would make it Wine, or spirits like a norcal margarita. Pass on the beer, gluten is crap. Or at least find a decent Gluten free beer.
    I love drinking but I love feeling healthy more.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I stopped beer altogether for three months and could see no impact whatsoever other than having to eat more to make up the calories I was missing. This link came up on another thread here and I found it very interesting.

The truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast