Thread: Journey of a crossfitter page

Xfitgurl16 is offline Junior Member

Journey of a crossfitter

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

I am currently on day 2 of the Whole 30 challenge and decided to blog my journey to 1, hold myself accountable, and 2, track my progress.

A little history about me: Have been crossfitting for 2 years. Dabbled in paleo/primal/zone throughout this time. Since starting crossfit I lost at my smallest, 30lbs. I am now back up about 10 lbs fromthere but do feel like I look better than I did at this weight previous. In the spring I did the Whole 30 challenge after becoming frustrated with plateauing. This did help break a plateau and I really enjoyed it but trying to live 80/20 turned into letting myself slip a little more than I should. Throughout this process, I am also trying to overcome some personal issues that I have with food and body comp. Lately I have felt that no matter what I eat I am hungry right away. I have a horrible habit of always needing to chew gum which isn't very forgiving on my tummy. I seriously switch out a piece every 5 minutes. INSANE! I also have a guilt that comes over me when I eat too much food or something bad. I am working really hard on overcoming this as well as a few other ED like behaviors. My main goal is to get to a healthy weight that I can maintain but also to not let food control me. I really do want to develop some sort of will power or at least be able to better listen to my body and find out what it really wants. This negative body image and constant worry is taking over my life and I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

So, in hopes of getting on the right track with both mind and body, I am starting the whole 30 again. I felt really great when I did this last time. My biggest obstacle is going to be portion control because like I mentioned, I am always wanting to eat something or chew on something. I also have another motivator...going to Vegas in a month. This is why portion control is going to be big for me because I have definitely been proof that living the paleo lifestyle doesn't necessarily guarentee weight loss. My biggest culprit is nuts. I eat almonds everyday and more than just 1 serving. Also, I am trying to figure out how much fruit I should consume daily. I live an active lifestyle (crossfit 5 days a week) but I also know that fruit isn't good in large quantities.

So, there you have it. My ramblings. I am not sure how often I will update. Maybe every day, maybe every other. If anyone has any tips or insites, I am willing to listen!

So, today is day 2.

Here is what I ate yesterday:
    Breakfast: 3 eggs, turkey, spiniach, onions and then 1/4 cup coconut flakes
    Lunch: Deli turkey, cabbage, jicama, carrots, olive oil, onions, 1/2 cup coconut flakes
    Snack : 2 slices deli turkey, jicama and carrots
    Dinner: chicken breast, brocoli slaw, apple with almond butter (also had some raw walnuts/pistachio/almonds with dried cranberries mix while making dinner..maybe like 1/2 cup)

Today the plan is:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 oz ground turkey, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 green bell pepper, 1/2 cup coffee
    Snack: jicama/carrots with turkey breast
    Lunch: BAS of chicken breast, spinach, onions, asparagus, olive oil and vinegar, sunflower seeds; snack on more jicama and carrots if need the crunch
    Snack: 3 slices turkey breast, 1/2 cup coconut flakes
    WOD at 4:30
    Post WOD: deli turkey and small piece of fruit
    Dinner: chicken breast and veggies stirfryed
    Snack if needed: frozen blueberries

I am trying to drink AT LEAST 80oz of water a day to stay hydrated and help me feel full.

Again, any tips are much appreciated..snacking is going to be my biggest struggle as I am trying not to use almonds or fruit every time.

Cheers!

js290 is offline Senior Member

Yesterday went rather well. I had to work later than planned so worked out at 6:30. My meals were the same before my workout but I didn't have the post workout meal after and for dinner we ended up eating ground beef with cabbage and 1/4 avocado. I did snack on that dried fruit and nut mix before dinner. I really need to stop that I think. I was also SOOO tired when I got to the gym..I was ready to crash but I felt much better after my WOD.

Today has been good. I started getting a stomach ache right after lunch though so I don't know if it is from all the veggies or if my chicken just wasn't cooked quite through. Here has been today:
    7:00AM WOD
    8:30 3 eggs with sliced deli turkey and 1/4 of a green bell pepper and an orange
    10:30: carrots and jicama with salsa
    1:00 Mix of veggies (Roasted carrots, squash, onions, kale, spinach asparagus, cauliflower all in olive oil I believe) with some chicken breast
    2:45 Cherry Pie Lara Bar...this wasn't planned but someone on my team at work bought it for me being nice so I couldn't say no and I LOVE these!
    4:15 1/2 cup coconut flakes

I definitely feel like I have eaten A LOT today and my stomach still kind of hurts. Hoping that goes away soon. I am not sure what is planned for dinner. I did take chicken out so I might bbq that but I will see what the hubsters will like to do.

I am REALLY hoping this eating thing works. I feel good about my choices but am nervous about putting on a bathing suit in a few weeks!!

Again, if my food choices don't look that great, I am willing to take any and all criticism on helping myself lean out!!

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Happy Monday everyone! I was able to survive the weekend staying 100% clean. First, some good news..I got on the scale yesterday morning and was down 3lbs from when I started. I started on Wednesday so that is pretty good. Of course I am not expecting this to continue quite as fast but I already can see a little difference in my stomach and I feel way better about myself. I was worried for the weekend because there is always those temptations..especially on hot sunny days!

So to break it down:

Friday:
    For dinner that night hubby and I went to dinner at a place called Amazon Grill. I got the 1/2 chicken and a side salad and had a few bites of his steak. I didn't eat very much of the skin. That night I took my dog for a long walk and had frozen blueberries and almond butter for a snack. It was either that or the drinks and chips my hubby and our guest were having.

Saturday we went on a hike that was the hardest hike I have ever been on. It is 6 miles total but you ended up gaining 4100 ft in elevation so it was definitely a climb and not many flat spots. We are going on a 4 day back packing trip this next weekend so I took my pack with 20lbs in it to get used to it and OMG I am so sore still! It was a great hike though..GORGEOUS view!

Food for Saturday:
    Breakfast: chicken breast, 2 eggs, 1/4 avocado, onions
    At the top of the hike: nectarine, beef jerky
    After hike: smoothie with strawberry, papaya, mango, coconut flakes and almond butter
    Ate A TON of cherries that afternoon
    Dinner was a burger patty with cabbage and sauteed mushrooms and onions
    Snacks throughout the day was fruit and nut mix..i ate a lot as the hike made me SOOOOO hungry!

Sunday was a good day. We spent the day running errands and packing/preparing for our backpacking trip. Then I met a friend at the lake and we walked/ran around that.

Food for the day:

B: 2 eggs with bacon, cherries
    Throughout the day I snack on a lara bar, dried apples, nut mix
    Dinner at 7:30: Ground beef with cabbage, avocado, hot sauce
    Desert cause I was still hungry: smoothie with coconut milk, cherries, 1/2 banana, spoon of almond meal

I know I have been eating lots of fruit and I am going to try and cut back but on hot days, that is what sounds good and I have been super active.

One thing I need to work on is my water intake.

Todays Plan:
    B: 3 eggs, 1/4 avocado, onions, spinach
    Snack: green beans/carrots with salsa
    Lunch:BAS of chicken breast, spinach, onions, asparagus, olive oil and vinegar, walnuts ( or something of this nature, depends on what the cafeteria has to offer)
    Snack: coconut flakes and turkey breast
    WOD at 4:30
    Post WOD: small sweet potatoe
    Dinner: Chicken breast, cabbage, avocado, hot sauce, mushrooms

I also brought an apple if I feel like I need it.

I am happy with my progress so far except I don't feel like I am recovering from my workouts as quickly which is why I added that sweet potatoe in post WOD.

Again, any tips are always helpful!

Thanks!
    Xfitgurl16

Man what a day today was. For starters, the meals didn't go as planned...all completely paleo but ate more than I should have.

Work today was insane..I guess I should have expected it as it was a Monday but it seemed EXTRA crazy today. I ended up working a little later than planned so didn't make my 4:30 class..I decided not to go to a later class due to the amount of soreness I had in my quads. I still can't believe how sore they are!! Instead, I came home and took a bath with some epsom salt to soothe the muscles..I don't feel guilty because I know that going when my body is clearly telling me not to is just going to be counterproductive.

So for the food..

For starters, I ended up eating my apple around 9:30. I stayed the course for lunch but about an hour later I had my carrots/green beans. THEN, about 20 minutes later I ate my coconut. This was around 2:00. At 2:45 my coworker brought me a pear and of course I ate it I appreciated the gesture in getting me something that I would eat instead of the chocolate they bought everyone else. Then at around 4:45 I ended up eating my "post workout" sweet potatoe and a few slices of turkey. Dinner was at 7:15 and it was a big bowl of ground turkey, cabbage, and 1/4 of an avocado. Desert was 4 cherries and 2 big servings of almond butter.

Looking at my past week of food, I definiteyl need to cut out nutbutters and fruit and add more protein i feel. I am going to try and have a spoon of coconut oil instead of almond butter at night. This weekend will be hard as i am going backpacking so mixed nuts are my main snack along with jerky but while I am home i need to be more conscious of that.

Man, I feel like such a failure right now when it comes to self control. I had a primal binge today. I did good until this afternoon when I was craving sahale almonds. I ended up eating 2 bags!! Then I told myself that I would not eat any more nuts/almond butter but ended up having a smoothie with some almond butter in it after dinner...I feel very very full right now. :\

So here is today:

B: 2 eggs 1/4 avocado, ground turkey, onion, spinach
    S: carrots/green beans with salsa
    L: BAS of chicken sausage (like 3 little slices..cheap cafeteria chef) grilled peppers/ onions, yams, slivered almonds, olive oil, cucumber/ spinach and then 1 apple
    S: 2 bags of sahale almonds ( )
    4:30 WOD-time was awesome probably due to the almonds but still wish I had more self control
    D: canned chicken with cabbage, onion, 1/4 avocado, hot sauce
    Dessert: smoothie with coconut milk, almond butter, 4 strawberries/ 1T avocado

I definitely feel FULL right now. I really need to try and control my snacking though..at least be smarter with my choices.

Even though I ate too many almonds I still feel good for staying 100% whole 30 compliant. I just need to be smarter.

Also, getting excited/nervous for my first backpacking trip..will end up being 35lbs when I add the water...going to try my best to stay as paleo as possible but the 3 people i am going with are already giving me crap about it. I am packing my own food so hopefully I do okay. At least lots of hiking will be involved!

Hi Everyone,

I am back after a hiatus..this summer has been EXTREMELY busy for me. This past month I have gone through cycles of trying to eat better, binging and then hating myself for it and doing harmful things to myself. I started getting to this dark place where I was constantly bashing myself, not treating myself right and I was starting to feel it effecting not only my mind and spirit but my body as I was always feeling sick, my workouts suffering, and more importantly it was causing me to lose the intimacy with my adoring husband. I finally had a realization this past weekend. I was breaking down in tears after having an AWESOME weekend with family. I just realized how lucky I am. I prayed a lot and just told God that I needed him to be strong for me. I NEEDED Desparetly to get over this stupid fear and this body image thing. I am tired of being sick and tired and want to get back to a place where I am happy and kicking ass in my workouts again. So, I feel like I have a clear head again. I was planning on eating horrible on Sunday and then starting over Monday but for some reason I woke up Sunday thinking that I was happy and I wanted to eat things that made me feel happy and not miserable. I got through the day eating primal and went to bed for the first night in who knows how long without taking sleep aids. I woke up feeling refreshed on Monday and was positive all day. I came to realize that things might not always be easy and you might not always feel great about yourself but I am making it a conscious effort to remind myself of everything I am thankful for when I feel myself starting to go to that dark place about myself again. I know this is only day 4 of this, and my eating hasn't been easy..I have SOOO wanted to have some goodies but told myself that would derail me to the point where I would do unhealthy things to myself which would then effect my mind, my body, and my workouts. This might all sound crazy and sporatic but I am really just trying to say that instead of saying I can't have stuff, I am trying to say this is what I am eating because I know I feel good. The results will come and it isn't a race. I have had great workouts the past 3 days..more energy than I have had in awhile and that is partly to do with not harming myself and I am SOOO happy about that.

I am taking it one day at a time, leaning on God to help me through the tough times, and constantly trying to turn negatives into a positive. I seriously feel like some weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I am starting to breath again. I am ready to make the change to a happier me. I do hope this means I will achieve the results in my body but I am sure that if I treat my body well, that will eventually come.