Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I go to bed hungry? page

Paleosence is offline Member

Do I go to bed hungry?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been primal for about 2 months now. I really enjoy these message boards, and am so impressed by the depth and breadth of knowledge here.

I have found the low carb a breeze, and feel great. Problem is, I'm not losing body size (I don't really weigh). I assume that my body is having fun using fat at fuel, and is happy not to look for carbs, but it doesn't seem happy about using my stored fat, as it's always telling me I'm hungry, for more fat.

So, my question is: Do I force my body to use stored fat by creating a calorie deficit and allowing myself to experience hunger? Or, Do I satisfy my body by eating more fat and wait until it figures it out when it's ready?

Do I go bed hungry? Or not?

Thanks all
    Tam

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    While you may have to change things to get things moving, it's also possible your body may just need some time to heal.

There are a couple different strategies that are popular, especially Leptin Reset, IF, high-protein/moderate fat with calorie counting and calorie/carb cycling. If you feel you've healed completely and are still not seeing fat loss, you could try each of these until you find something that works for you(warning: people here often feel *very* strongly for and/or against these).

Also, what are you doing for exercise? Posting a couple day's food might also help.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I usually have a small snack about an hour before bed to stave off hunger right at bed time. A small handful of mixed seeds and nuts keeps my hunger at bay.

Exercise should tell your genes that you're an active HG and should help trigger some fat burning.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

davem is offline Senior Member
    Going to bed hungry won't kill you.

I'll throw this out there, are you sure it's hunger and not something else? I actually get hunger feelings when I'm bored, and they go away the moment I mentally stimulate myself.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Alex, I've been reading a little about these strategies, and haven't quite felt ready to try one exclusively, but it may a good idea to give each of them a shot and see what happens. As for my body healing, to be honest, I'm not sure if it is that sick, or I'm just fooling myself. But clearly my body is not in top form, so it can't be too healthy...

My exercise is to stay on my feet as much as possible. Withaa very active 3 year old, thaat's easy. Some days I'm tired and sore by the evening, and haven't done any planned exercise as such, but walked, and carried, and lifted, and wrestled, and cleaned the floors, and weeded the garden...... I probably need to think more bout the sprint like activity, but I'm sure I'm getting enough walking and weight-bearing like activity. On the days I work (at a desk) I get so restless.

Thanks Griffin, sounds like what I'm doing now, but I'm wondering if it's what I should be doing?

Dave, I could go to be hungry, for sure. I think it is real hunger though, If go to bed hungry, I wake up ravenous (not a bad thing), if I eat my night high fat snack, then I'm right until mid morning or lunch the next day. I know my cravings, and this hunger feels different. Hunger I can live with.... Cravings are horrible and I sympathise with anyone still experiencing them. For me, primal has been my saviour, I've hardly had a carb/sugar craving since I stared, and I used to binge, oh boy did I binge....

Again, thanks heaps

davem is offline Senior Member
    Well, if you're built anything like me, going to bed hungry won't kill you. Neither will waking up ravenous and ignoring it. If you're already at a target weight, then do what works for you.

How do you know it's real hunger if you don't challenge it? Try a three day fast, they aren't easy, but you learn that you don't have to be controlled or directed by your hunger.

As for cravings? Ignore them. If you give in to them you'll wake up in a pile of empty juice boxes and twinkie wrappers. Then someone will tell you it's time for rehab, and you'll say, "No, no, no." Also ask yourself if your thoughts on food are true, or laced with loopholes designed to make certain decisions, and potentially self defeating actions seem ok.

That's what I think about all the time.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    The whole calorie deficit thing is false, first of all. You can eat 1,000 calories worth of ice cream, and still get fat. If you're going to bed hungry, you didn't eat enough that day, plain and simple. If you reduce your sugars and starches, and up the fat, your body will relearn how to use it (the fat), and will auto-regulate back to being lean. Your insulin will stop pushing fat into your fat cells, and they become the preferred source of energy. No need to starve yourself, just eat when your hungry, and eat right. Listen to your body, do what it says, just keep things primal and within reason.

Thanks again. I really don't have a problem going to bed hungry, if that is the best thing to do for my body. Like I said, I don't have cravings anymore (and never used to drink juice or eat twinkies anyway (Twinkies = chocolate, right? I'm not in the USA). In fact it used to be so annoying that my diet was 'healthy' but I still got to be about 80pounds overweight. Traaditional diets never worked for me, and I was always accused by nutritionists and dieticians of not following their instructions. That's why I love what I am learning here, finally I understand why I got so big when I ate what I thought I was supposed to. and yes, I binged, but only on the organic whole grain kinda stuff. Clearly I am very sensitive to grain, and possibly some other stuff too. But as I say, the cravings are now a distant memory. Primal has already proved itself to me!

My confusion is between forcing my body to use body fat through calorie deficit (and go to bed hungry) and just feeding it what it is asking for, and waiting for all the hormones to sort themselves out. Thanks to both Dave and Joel for showing me that there is no definitive answer on this one.

I have been reading another post with a very similar question, and it seems that my macadamia nut habit may not be doing me any favours, regardless of which theory you subscribe to, so that's all over. It also seems that it may be the case that us women don't need as much of the animal fat than men do, and that we can do better with more vegetable fats (ie avocados and co) than men can. So there's couple of tweaks for me to try. It's a relief really, because I have struggling with the amount of heavy meat needed to make up my protein count. A few leaner cuts here and there, served with avocado or cooked in co is a welcome relief. Perhaps that's another message from my body.....?

Tam

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Tam,
    You might find some useful info in this thread. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

I too come from a very "health conscious" background in terms of brown rice with tofu and veggie stirfries.

And for your junkfood edification, a Twinkie is a sticky sweet poofy cake-like substance with an even sweeter gooey filling. The whole thing is packaged with all kinds of artificial preservatives, colors, flavorings, and other chemical nastiness and then comes wrapped in a plastic packet. Truly gag worthy.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    You sound a lot like me before I tried to reset my Leptin-sensitivity. That would be my main-tips: try Jack Kruse's Prescribtion for at least a month and see if it makes a difference. I've done it for 2.5 weeks and rarely feel hunger anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast