Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another GOUT post page

mattburgess is offline Junior Member

Another GOUT post

Primal Fuel
    Hey, sorry for the long post. Just been looking through the past gout posts and also Marks views on it. I think I have gout in my foot (the arch), it's been painful for the last three days now. Not confirmed by doctor or paste experience, but my dad had it at one point, my brother has it really bad (although he is obese), it is worse in the morning and finally it came on after a night of six cans of Scrumpy Jack cider. I have a uric blood meter coming tomorrow to measure my uric acid levels (canít stand doctors Ė but will go when I have the opportunity!).

I am Primal (1 year now) although I probably eat too much meat and could do with a more rounded diet. Drinking is something that I havenít cut down on the PB. In fact the last 3 years I have been consuming more and more at a very steady rate Ė with the last 1.5 years being pretty dam heavy!

The internet is full of conflicting advice (surprise!). I guess the reason for gout is not a givenÖpossibly very complex. Anyway I used a scatter-gun approach to a Ďnaturalí cure and bought some cherries, some celery and some bicarbonate of soda. After limping in to work today Iíve had my breakfast (celery, cherries and a boiled egg Ė plus one bicarb) and reaching lunch, my foot is now showing signs of recovery.

As I said I canít confirm itís actually gout at all yet but Iíve done nothing that would give me a foot injury and Iíve had Ďtinglesí in my hands and shins/feet which others have described. Iím really looking for any reactions to all this Ė personal experience, the primal diet and can the gout recede that quick! I personally think my drinking has been a major issue here and my body has reach saturation point Ė needless to say Iíve stopped!

PS. This year Iíve also had a Ďganglioní type bump on my wrist Ė which isnít a ganglion as I thumped the crap out of it with a large book. Also physio said it was a result of a strain (I think it is to do with the computer work). And, both knee joints giving pain (limping) Ė physio again says itís a strain causing the joint stuff to squeeze out (puke). IT band massage and stretch was prescribed. All connected?

Feel like Iím just trying to keep my body going at the moment!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Gout isn't typically in the arch of foot but around joints. It may be Plantar fasciitis.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Not typically - but CW says it can be in the arch as well.
    Very interesting on the Plantar fasciitis thing - thanks. I've been wearing minimal footwear for nearly a year now (vivo barefoot) which does tie in with the symptoms of Plantar fasciitis - however I have been using minimal footwear for a long time now and I hadn't been doing anything radical the day before the pain started...only drinking (no change there then!).
    Incidentally the pain in my foot has completely gone now and I can put my whole weight on heal and to toe no problems. Just spoke to my brother and he says his gout can appear and disappear just as quick. Wonder if the cherries did any thing! And if I'll get any uric acid readings tomorrow...

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. Interesting to see what your uric acid reading is tomorrow.

UV acid test

Got my Uric acid tester on Friday. My levels have shown - sat 8.5mg/dL, Sun 9.8, Mon 10.2. Today (Mon) my foot was the worst since the very worse time on Thursday - which would make sense with the readings. Not been drinking alcohol for a week now, cut down on Purine foods (although conflicting information on the interweb re purines being that bad for you...ahh!) but did do a major curcuit training session on Sunday...foot hurt directly after. So although the readings (and my family history) point to gout, there's also huge parallels with Plantar Fasciitis - as Sue suggested. Next stop is the doctor to ask for a test that involves drawing liquid from the area of pain to test for crystals - that seems to be a definitive test for Gout. Anybody with similar past experience or other information most welcome.

Incidentally both my wife and daughter show high uric acid levels - 8mg/dL and 6mg/dL respectively (daughter is 4!). This makes me think that uric acid in the blood CAN lead to crystals but doesn't necessarily! Tried to find on the web information on uric acid level in NON gout sufferers - can't at the moment. Frustrating.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Do check up on plantar faciaitis as well. Primary symptoms -- pain in the arch of the foot upon rising and easing up as you walk on it/use your foot. It often strikes first in your early thirties. Stretching can help -- stand with your toes on a step and lower you heels. Hold for 30 seconds. Don't do this on the top step! This stretches your achilies tendon as well. Good news -- it usually resolves if several weeks with stretching. Bad news -- it can become chronic (I had it for two years and had the best success with long term acupuncture for a cure, but also had surgery on one foot, which was okay, but not as good as the acupuncture.)

Nevertheless, you are quite correct that you should probably cut way back on the booze. Meat and ale did give Henry VIII gout. Your uric acid tests should be enlightening.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Thanks dkd2001. I'm now booked to see the doc who should hopefully (sure I'll have to fight for it!) get a fluid test from the foot to test for crystals.

I really want to see if I have gout one way or the other - so bizarrely I've gone back to eating as many bad gout foods as possible! Yeah I know that's odd, but I do not want the crystals (if they are there) to disappear and not know for sure. The outcome was two bottles of stout, two Guinness's and a slab of pork liver pate last night! Ironically my uric acid blood levels are slightly down this morning!

Prolonging this post in case there are other 'joint' sufferers out there! Well, my uric acid levels seem to go up and down and don't seem to relate particularly now with foot pain. My doctor was as helpful as expected - asked nothing of food, drink, lifestyle. Even when I volunteer about heavy drinking over the last year, he didn't asked about it...wonder how many alcoholics fall through the net... To my utter non-amazement he recommended the same thing as all the other joint issues I have (wrist 'bump' - not a ganglion btw, both knees and now foot)...some ibuprofen. Honestly, is it just the UK or are all doctors just glorified chemists!

Fought for a referral to a Rheumatologist and now have an appointment in September. Meanwhile my foot is improving! Maybe it is just a strained ligament!

kgp11 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for jumping on this topic but having spent the last week or so studying up on the gout situation I have somewhat become more confused, thanks to the wonderful world wide web.

I started primal back in October 2012. Started by completing whole 30 where you can check out here - Whole9 | Let us change your life. | Category Archive | Whole30 - I lost a lot of weight in the first week, approximately 17 lbs and since then another 15-20 lb in the last 2-3 months. I live a very strict primal diet without dairy also. Sweet potato and winter squash are my main carb intakes, no potatoes! I do not eat excessive amounts of red meat, or shellfish, mackerel etc.

Approximately 2 months ago I began to feel a small amount of pain in my big toe, nothing drastic just very minimal pain, which became sore or stiff during or after any exercise. I have just had my first gout attack this weekend and I am close to cutting my own foot off! It is horrible, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I have been trying the natural approach to getting rid of it mainly because I have just started an exchange program with university and am currently in finland. I do not have access to my doctors, medicine, etc. I don’t understand I have been pretty strict primal, progressively upping my exercise as time went on, I am at the stage now where I want to start on my conditioning and strength training but this is severaly holdng me back!

I am only 25, no known history of gout in the family, I do not eat any sweetbreads, not much shellfish, not a big red meat eater unless it’s a special occasion which is not very often, maybe once a month, possibly less. My main protein would be through chicken and eggs. I’m at my wits end and do not want to stop eating primal, apart from my foot I feel great.

Any recommendations as to what to do next? Or could anyone shed any light on why gout has come about in this case, I understand that losing weight quite quickly can up the levels of uric acid in the body but surely that would be a temporary thing that should level out as time goes by? I would really appreciate any help you guys could offer!!!

Thanks!
    Karl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast