Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another GOUT post page 2

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kgp11 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for jumping on this topic but having spent the last week or so studying up on the gout situation I have somewhat become more confused, thanks to the wonderful world wide web.

I started primal back in October 2012. Started by completing whole 30 where you can check out here - Whole9 | Let us change your life. | Category Archive | Whole30 - I lost a lot of weight in the first week, approximately 17 lbs and since then another 15-20 lb in the last 2-3 months. I live a very strict primal diet without dairy also. Sweet potato and winter squash are my main carb intakes, no potatoes! I do not eat excessive amounts of red meat, or shellfish, mackerel etc.

Approximately 2 months ago I began to feel a small amount of pain in my big toe, nothing drastic just very minimal pain, which became sore or stiff during or after any exercise. I have just had my first gout attack this weekend and I am close to cutting my own foot off! It is horrible, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I have been trying the natural approach to getting rid of it mainly because I have just started an exchange program with university and am currently in finland. I do not have access to my doctors, medicine, etc. I don’t understand I have been pretty strict primal, progressively upping my exercise as time went on, I am at the stage now where I want to start on my conditioning and strength training but this is severaly holdng me back!

I am only 25, no known history of gout in the family, I do not eat any sweetbreads, not much shellfish, not a big red meat eater unless it’s a special occasion which is not very often, maybe once a month, possibly less. My main protein would be through chicken and eggs. I’m at my wits end and do not want to stop eating primal, apart from my foot I feel great.

Any recommendations as to what to do next? Or could anyone shed any light on why gout has come about in this case, I understand that losing weight quite quickly can up the levels of uric acid in the body but surely that would be a temporary thing that should level out as time goes by? I would really appreciate any help you guys could offer!!!

Thanks!
    Karl
    Are you 100% it's gout? The only way to tell is to get your uric acid level tested and/or examine some of the fluid in the joint for uric acid crystals.

I had gout for years and it completely disappeared when i started PB. I think the culprit in my case was eating/drinking too much fructose. Too many high fructose corn syrup sweets, especially. But since you shouldn't be having any of that, maybe you are eating a lot of sweet fruit?

I feel for ya! I know what gout feels like.

kgp11 is offline Junior Member
    While on the whole 30 it recommended staying away from fruit, and i did, also refrain from alcohol which i have. I Would eat alot of bananas, well tried to eat one every day or every 2 days, along with some mandrin oranges or satsumas every now and then. I would try and take maybe 1 piece of fruit a day, sometimes every 2 days but planning on cutting that out for the next week or so.

I thought maybe I had a problem with my joints build up of fluid (my dad has problems with that but likely because he was a bodybuilder and was caused by lifting too much) but the signs I have this last few days are typical of a gout flare up. Ironically enough i have started taking glucosamine sulphate (maybe 3 weeks ago) thinking it might be a problem with my joints but i have discovered that it is harvested from shellfish - so have stopped that. Fingers cross that could have been the culprit.

I will see the local nurse on wednesday who should refer me to a gp to properly diagnose the problem. I plan on buying a vitamin c supplement. Im not too sure whether to continue with my omega 3 fish oil (capsule contains beef gelatin and glycerol) and calcium and vitamin D supplement. Thoughts?

Thanks for you help btw.

otzi Guest
    While on the whole 30 it recommended staying away from fruit, and i did, also refrain from alcohol which i have. I Would eat alot of bananas, well tried to eat one every day or every 2 days, along with some mandrin oranges or satsumas every now and then. I would try and take maybe 1 piece of fruit a day, sometimes every 2 days but planning on cutting that out for the next week or so.

I thought maybe I had a problem with my joints build up of fluid (my dad has problems with that but likely because he was a bodybuilder and was caused by lifting too much) but the signs I have this last few days are typical of a gout flare up. Ironically enough i have started taking glucosamine sulphate (maybe 3 weeks ago) thinking it might be a problem with my joints but i have discovered that it is harvested from shellfish - so have stopped that. Fingers cross that could have been the culprit.

I will see the local nurse on wednesday who should refer me to a gp to properly diagnose the problem. I plan on buying a vitamin c supplement. Im not too sure whether to continue with my omega 3 fish oil (capsule contains beef gelatin and glycerol) and calcium and vitamin D supplement. Thoughts?

Thanks for you help btw.
    Here's how my gout would present itself:

I would notice an achy feeling in the 'knuckle' of my big toe, right foot only. I'd think 'oh, that's just normal soreness--not a gout attack', then that night about 3am I would wake up in severe pain. Even the weight of the blanket would be too much. I could only get back to sleep by propping it up on a pillow and fighting through the pain. In the morning, I'd get up an try putting weight on it while getting ready for work. It was very, very painful. I'd slowly squeeze into my shoes and hobble off to work. I'd sit as much as I could, but the swelling would get worse as the day progressed. I would arrange for a day or two off.

Next 2 days would be sitting at home w/foot up. Feeling sorry for myself. The medicine I took, called Colchisine, was not fun, either. the directions were: Take 2 pills then 1 every hour until you get diarrhea, usually in 6-8 hours, then take 1 pill every 4 hours until pain subsides.

Nothing cuts the pain of a true gout attack! I eventually also started getting it in my heel and knee.

During that time, I was drinking heavily and eating crap. The docs said, 'cut the meat and seafood' I did, still got gout. i also had high blood pressure, fatty liver disease, high cholesterol, and pre-diabetes...all that went away when I started eating right.

Now, I'm eating seafood and liver several times a week. Not drinking at all, no sugar, little sugary fruit, but when I have eaten lots of sugary fruit, the gout didn't come back.

I had my uric acid level tested when I was having an attack, the normal range is like 4-8, mine was 12. I've had it tested since and it is around 8, still a little high.

Gout is also tied to poor liver function. Is your liver good?

Good luck!

otzi Guest
    I plan on buying a vitamin c supplement. Im not too sure whether to continue with my omega 3 fish oil (capsule contains beef gelatin and glycerol) and calcium and vitamin D supplement. Thoughts?
    I doubt it will help or hurt. Ask doc next week what he thinks, though.

cool will do cheers.

That synopsis is exactly what happened to me... I will get back to you when I find out from the docs! Thanks!

Zach is offline Banned
    Too much alcohol, meat and fat. Eat more raw fruits and veg.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Are you 100% it's gout? The only way to tell is to get your uric acid level tested and/or examine some of the fluid in the joint for uric acid crystals.
    Yeah, best to check for the crystals. My understanding is that elevated blood uric acid levels don't always correspond to gout or even gout flares for that matter.

Hey, Thanks for your help. I went to the doctors on wednesday. It was quite difficult as im currently on a study term abroad, in finland so not many of the other people speak english. After nearly punching the doctor when he repeatedly put pressure on the worst part... he gave me an antibiotic incase they may have been an infection. I also bought some extra ibuprofen while at the chemist.

Now this is where I am slightly confused. Do any of you guys have a particular area on your big toe where the pain is very intense when pressure is applied? The reason i am asking is literally as soon as I took the first antibiotic the swelling started to reduce quite drastically. The medicine is called "kefexin 750mg", im sure that this may be the finnish name, i tried looking online but only got finnish results. As far as i was made aware, this would only help any infection in the area and would not help the gout at all. The extreme pain i felt even when sitting or in bed went but i am back to this sore, not so painful big toe, and in particular on the side of the toe where the joint protrudes slightly. this part is still slightly swollen in comparison to my left foot and can be extremely painful when pressure is applied inwards.

I am not too sure I maybe blood tests will tell me if it is gout or not. Hopefully.

I understand the situation that primal can lead to gout but only if one is over indulgent in particular foods, i am 100% sure that i have not eaten excess red meat, shellfish, etc. Well not more than normal, maybe a few times a month. I have been keeping food journals for most of the time I have been primal and there is not consistant evidence that could trigger this attack, I am starting to link there may be an underlying problem with my joint or some kind of damage to the foot. I will keep you updated. Just like to say thanks for taking the time to respond, it means a lot.

I am just very annoyed because I had planned to start my strength training which has to be pushed back! gutted!

otzi Guest
    Hey, Thanks for your help. I went to the doctors on wednesday. It was quite difficult as im currently on a study term abroad, in finland so not many of the other people speak english. After nearly punching the doctor when he repeatedly put pressure on the worst part... he gave me an antibiotic incase they may have been an infection. I also bought some extra ibuprofen while at the chemist.

Now this is where I am slightly confused. Do any of you guys have a particular area on your big toe where the pain is very intense when pressure is applied? The reason i am asking is literally as soon as I took the first antibiotic the swelling started to reduce quite drastically. The medicine is called "kefexin 750mg", im sure that this may be the finnish name, i tried looking online but only got finnish results. As far as i was made aware, this would only help any infection in the area and would not help the gout at all. The extreme pain i felt even when sitting or in bed went but i am back to this sore, not so painful big toe, and in particular on the side of the toe where the joint protrudes slightly. this part is still slightly swollen in comparison to my left foot and can be extremely painful when pressure is applied inwards.

I am not too sure I maybe blood tests will tell me if it is gout or not. Hopefully.

I understand the situation that primal can lead to gout but only if one is over indulgent in particular foods, i am 100% sure that i have not eaten excess red meat, shellfish, etc. Well not more than normal, maybe a few times a month. I have been keeping food journals for most of the time I have been primal and there is not consistant evidence that could trigger this attack, I am starting to link there may be an underlying problem with my joint or some kind of damage to the foot. I will keep you updated. Just like to say thanks for taking the time to respond, it means a lot.

I am just very annoyed because I had planned to start my strength training which has to be pushed back! gutted!
    The antibiotic they gave you is called 'Cefalexin' in the US. Maybe you needed it, maybe not.

I used to have gout really bad. First attack was in 1999 after a month of Atkin's Diet. I was really pissed-off. Quit the diet, but the gout stayed on. At first it was once or twice a year, then 3-4 times a year, then towards the end, every 4-6 weeks! I was either in pain or recovering in time to have another attack.

I tried to do everything right...no seafood, liver, game meat. I was eating tons of bread, candy, soda, beer, fast food. I went full-on Primal Blueprint and haven't had so much as a hint of gout in 2-1/2 years.

I eat seafood and liver almost every day. I drink alcohol very rarely, eat no bread or flour, no sugar/candy/soda. I completely reversed my diet and my gout went away.

Where are you with eating? Ketogenic diets can raise uric acid levels and bring on gout in people likely to get gout--are you eating 100-200g of carbs per day, preferably from rice/potatoes, not so much from fruit/sugar? Do you drink alcohol? Plenty of water? Are you on any other medicine?

When eating, think "anti-inflammatory". Plenty of fish, berries, veggies. No fried foods. No grains.

As to location of pain, you are describing exactly where my pain was. Not really in the big toe, but the first knuckle joint on the foot below the big toe. Pressing in from the side was very painful. Also, standing walking made the pain a little better, putting foot up took the pain away, but when you'd stand after--it was terrible.

A typical gout attack for me lasted about 3-4 days with pain worst on day 3, then a 4-5 day recovery to no pain. After I started taking Colchisine, attacks would last 1-2 days with pain worst on first day, but attacks came more frequently.

I was also on high blood pressure medicine which I quit after losing weight, some have said those can cause gout.

Good luck!

CycleTechUK is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Karl

I know what the pain is like, my toe joint has now fused and I cant bend it far and the pain is always there.

I see you posted nearly a year ago!!!!!

Hows the gout now?

What helps me is having lots of olive oil and Vit C, this makes the pain go 95%, I can then walk properly, but if I start to run, its not long before I have to stop.
    Cutting out alcohol, any processed food, eating good quality fish and meat moderately.

Ginger tea, made fresh with cinnamon, mint, lemon grass. Ginger is anti inflammation

Having drunk fruit juice, may have been the cause of gout!

Over the next week, make a note of everything you are eating and drinking and let us know on here.

And we see if we can help you.

Its will take time of cutting out foods and reintroduce, but is worth it and better than taking any medicine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast