Thread: For those who have followed the story. . . there are finally some answers! page

For those who have followed the story. . . there are finally some answers!

For those who do not know my story, here's a short version. Lost 100 lbs. and kept it off until a pregnancy. Could not lose weight after that no matter what I did for over a year. Doctors kept saying, "Everything's normal. You're healthy. Maybe you're just getting a little older. It's time to step up the exercise a little bit. I don't think you're telling me the whole truth."

Needless to say after dealing with this for over a year and getting numerous opinions from doctors, fitness professionals, friends, and forum folk I have finally found an answer. There is a thyroid disorder that doesn't always show up in regular thyroid tests but doctors don't normally test for it unless your regular tests have come back abnormal. Well, I'm one of those people. There was finally a doctor who added "the next step" thyroid test to the round of tests and it came back abnormal. So, after I find the right dosage of meds. . . I should be fine and things should go back to normal!

I am glad I kept asking for tests. This disorder causes so many more health problems if not treated. The sadness is that a lot of people attribute the main signs and symptoms (fatigue and weight gain) to getting a little older and don't catch it until it's late in the game.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    I'm happy you finally got answers and are getting the proper treatment now. I've been struggling with my weight since my first pg. My doctor just tells me to keep counting calories and do cardio, which I shake my head at because if something hasn't been working, why keep doing it, kwim? I've had a thyroid test done, think it was TSH, and it came back normal. Is there another test to take?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    What was the"next step"test(s) you had done? What is your thryoid disorder called?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    details please i may fall in that category
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

The next step test (this is my term calling it the "next step" I'm not sure if it actually is) is Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO). Basically the body does not think the thyroid belongs there and starts to attack it. This is what they believe is happening (it's still fairly recent). I don't remember all the specifics about it since it's new to me, but it I think causes your thyroid to be under-active if I understand it all correctly. Please don't quote me. I am not in the medical field.
    Bottom line, if you truly believe something is wrong with you be persistent. It took me over a year to find this out. Good luck to you!

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I'm happy you finally got answers and are getting the proper treatment now. I've been struggling with my weight since my first pg. My doctor just tells me to keep counting calories and do cardio, which I shake my head at because if something hasn't been working, why keep doing it, kwim? I've had a thyroid test done, think it was TSH, and it came back normal. Is there another test to take?
    There are several tests that can be used to determine whether your thyroid is functioning properly:
    TSH-- a pituitary hormone that signals the thyroid to release thyroid hormone.
    Total T4-- The thyroid's storage hormone/prohormone. Total T4 is a measure of bound and unbound portions
    Free T4-- The amount of T4 that is unbound and available for the body to use.
    Total T3-- The thyroid hormone that body's cells use. Most T3 comes from the body converting T4 to T3. Total T3 is the measure of bound and unbound portions
    FreeT3-- is the unbound/usable portion of T3.
    TPOAb-- a thyroid antibody test used to determine if there is an autoimmune cause(Hashimoto's) for thyroid disease/dysfunction
    TgAb-- another thyroid antibody test to determine autoimmunity.

Thyroid Physiology on Vimeo

There are things that can impact thyroid function and/or mimic hypothyroid symptoms. Those things include:
    Low Vitamin D
    Low ferritin
    Low selenium intake
    Blood sugar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by trebleclef01 View Post
    The next step test (this is my term calling it the "next step" I'm not sure if it actually is) is Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO). Basically the body does not think the thyroid belongs there and starts to attack it. This is what they believe is happening (it's still fairly recent). I don't remember all the specifics about it since it's new to me, but it I think causes your thyroid to be under-active if I understand it all correctly. Please don't quote me. I am not in the medical field.
    Bottom line, if you truly believe something is wrong with you be persistent. It took me over a year to find this out. Good luck to you!
    I googled TPO and somehow ended up looking at info about Hashimoto's Disease. It's interesting that I have so many of the symptoms, but then again so many of these diseases list the same symptoms. Makes me want to ignore my symptoms and just keep hoping a primal diet helps in the long run.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Marcadav, thanks for the info. I'm due for a physical soon and will ask my doctor about these tests. I was tested for vitamin d earlier this year and am in the moderately deficient range. The doctor wasn't concerned about it (I live in a Northern area where I guess it's normal to be low in vitamin d), but I am supplementing anyway. It'll be nice if that's all I need to feel well again.