Thread: HELP--- Intense GI problems since starting PB diet page

spacecowboy614 Guest

Primal Fuel

Apologies ahead of time if this is all a little too much information for some:

I started the primal diet, in earnest, on Monday (though I lived "healthy" by CW before, so the only real change was cutting out my grain intake and raising my fat levels a bit).

Starting Tuesday I noticed a huge increase in bowel movements, both intensity and frequency, to the point of bleeding and discomfort. This got worse yesterday (discomfort became real pain). Applied some ointment, which helped a bit, but I was back in pain again today after my morning movement.

The only drastic change to my diet (because I've cut out grains and raised my fat intake before and never experienced anything like this) was that I ate a whole lot of almonds to satiate my initial carb cravings (on the order of a full 300 gram bag since Monday morning...) Not moderate, or probably "smart", but I figured, for the time being, was a decent way to keep my diet straight.

Full disclosure: I was diagnosed with a severe case of Lyme disease a few years ago, which is now MUCH better, but still has me on a fairly potent combination of antibiotics. These have never really wreaked too much havoc on my GI (and I supplement varied pro-biotics in the evening) but they can't possibly be helping the situation.

I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience or have any dietary tips. I've stopped with the almonds, since they were the only strange addition, and hope that that helps. And, for today, I'm going to fast hoping, with a decreased load, my GI can heal itself.

Sadly, though, I don't think I'll be getting in those squat reps that I was looking forward to today...

Kasey is offline Member

Nuts are hard to digest. To make them easier on the system, soak them overnight in water, then rinse them off and enjoy. And only in small amounts! Or make a nut mylk if you want a large amount.

Also the antibiotics you are taking have destroyed your friendly bacteria and you are trying to balance this by taking probiotics and it's a waste of time and money. You take the probiotics, then next time you take the antibiotic you kill the probiotics! It's a cycle of death and decay in your gut! All the different bacterias dieing off are poisoning you constantly.

I'm no expert on lyme disease but your goal should be to get off the antibiotics as quick as you can. You should email Kevin Gianni of the renegade health show. I remember him saying he had lyme disease and completely cured himself. You can ask him how.

Hope you feel better soon!

maba is offline Senior Member

I had the runs when I once ate half a bag (~ 1/2 lb) of raw, i.e., unpasteurized almonds. Maybe you're allergic to them or the high amount of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors must have wreaked havoc. I hope you feel better soon.

Acmebike is offline Member

IT WAS MOST DEFINITELY THE ALMONDS. ABSOLUTELY CERTAINLY 100% THE ALMONDS. I AM PUTTING THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM SITTING AT HOME RECALLING AN *EXCITING* DATE I HAD WITH A BIG ALMOND EXPLOSION SOME TIME AGO (WHEN FIRST STARTING OUT AS WELL). I AM YELLING ALONG WITH YOU AS I RAISED THE ROOF ONCE WITH THE ALMONDS......

Keep the nuts at bay, consider eliminating ALL nuts for a while, eat loads of non-starchy veggies, and meat. Keep your snacking to bacon, hardboiled eggs, jerky, sardines, a salad, put the nuts behind thee! (pun intended, sorry)

spacecowboy614 Guest

Thank you guys for taking time to respond. Especially to Acmebike... I do, in fact, take your recommendation more seriously due to your capitalization. You, sir, are forever a friend of my nuts.

Kasey: Thanks for the tip on soaking and "nut mylk" (which I'll have to look up). I'll start doing that. When I start eating nuts again. Which, um, won't be for a little while.

Also, Kasey, I appreciate your concern about the antibiotics and the probiotics. I am taking far less of the bad stuff then before, but I was also really sick for a really long time (as opposed to Kevin Gianni who only had it for a few days... though thanks for the recommendation of his site! Never been there before and I loved it). I take the necessary bad guys during the day and then the good guys at night when they can populate my gut. It's not perfect (you're right, I end up napalming them in the morning), but I've gone without and there is a discernible difference.

But, anyway, I hope to be off all meds soon! And that the primal diet will help.

Thank you guys, and Maba, for the help.

I really appreciate it. So does my tummy.

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member

Hey space! I hope everything has cleared up for you. I myself have Crohn's disease and have to be very careful of things such as nuts and any kind of hard-fibered veggies. They simply come out of me whole, causing much pain and bleeding along the way! The suggestions of nut milk and cutting the nuts out altogether is very wise, but I might also suggest raising your salad green intake ( lettuces, etc) and lowering your intake of anything extremely fibrous such as apples,celery etc. After a few weeks of adjusting you can begin adding these things back in in moderation and see where your tummy is at. Grace and peace!

Jase

hannahc is offline Senior Member

My problem starting out was Coconut Oil! I had way too much of it my first month primal, and had AWFUL bathroom issues. Worst of my life for sure. But once I reduced the coconut consumption and my body was able to adjust to the reduced fiber and hightened fat intake I was fine. You're body is just having an initial reaction, you'll be okay soon!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

" You, sir, are forever a friend of my nuts." spacecowboy614

LOL... wow... lol.

jrherring is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with authurb...that one sentence made me laugh out loud at my desk. Yes, co-workers stopped and stared!

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!