Thread: Beef heart jerky... for those without a dehydrator. page

Grafvitnir is offline Member

Beef heart jerky... for those without a dehydrator.

Shop Now
    I wanted to share how I made my last batch of beef heart jerky, using a modification of Alton Brown’s method of making it without a dehydrator. ‪Good Eats - S09E03P01 - Urban Preservation II - The Jerky‬‏ - YouTube
    ‪Good Eats S09E03P02 - Urban Preservation II - The Jerky‬‏ - YouTube
    I too like multitasking, so I tried it with usually available items (and avoiding the oven). Also useful if you want to make a larger batch, and for those of us who don’t like semi-cooked jerky or for making pemmican (which is supposed to be made with RAW meat to avoid spoilage)

First I bought a whole beef heart and clean it like this: ‪Cleaning a beef heart‬‏ - YouTube

Photos 0 and 1 (Of course photo 1 is the unused part of heart)

Then I disinfected the meat (prevent E. coli) with hydrogen peroxide and vinegar like this: Science News Online - Food for Thought - 9/28/96

If you cleaned the heart correctly you are supposed to have only muscle now, so you proceed to cut it in strips not thicker than .250 in.

I then put everything in a ziplock bag and cover with lime or lemon juice and put in the fridge for .5 hour (acidity to prevent spoilage, again)

Then I got it out, put a little salt, pepper and red chili flakes (that’s how I’m used to eating it, you can use whatever recipe you like).

Photo 2

I then put some newspaper to avoid making a mess on the floor and turn on the fan.

Photos 3,4 and 5 (showing the setup; i.e., fan and portable clothes dryer-hanger) are around 17:00 hrs.

Then around 19:30 hrs. Photo 6

All done by next morning around 7:00 hrs. It took about 14 hours of drying.

Photos 7 and 8

Hope this may be helpful

Rubén

PS. Seems I having a little problem with attachments so maybe photos will be in disorder... It doesn't matter they are named correctly even if they appear in disorder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grafvitnir; 07-20-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Grafvitnir is offline Member
    The rest of the photos (I hope)

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images