Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Weight loss and food journaling - progress check request. page

  1. #1
    davem's Avatar
    davem is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,258

    Weight loss and food journaling - progress check request.

    Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, if you're willing, would you mind looking through my food journal and giving me some pointers on where I can optimize in order to stimulate more fat loss? I'm losing, which is not something I've done before. I'm losing inches and energy and strength are up, so I'm going in a good direction. Would just dig some pointers.

    Some caveats:
    - There's beer, I should cut more of that out.
    - My carb target is 75g daily - open to optimizing that.
    - I sometimes break things down into components, eg: my "oopsie rolls" turn into entries of cream cheese and an egg.


    I'd appreciate it, cheers!
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

  2. #2
    davem's Avatar
    davem is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,258
    Please?

    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

  3. #3
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    OK. Since you have such a cute kitty pic.................

    It looks like you are doing pretty well. I would shave a little off the fat percentage and add it to the protein side of the pie. The only other advice I would give is to find an alternative drink other than coffee and cream. The caffeine jacks your adrenals around and the cream is just excess fat that doesn't contribute any nutrition. I know a lot of people are serious coffee junkies but then there are a lot of people who have trouble losing weight too. Some crossover perhaps?

  4. #4
    befitby40's Avatar
    befitby40 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    No help. I'm new. But saw the Warrior Dash thing, I'm JEALOUS! My daughter and I were going to do that, she runs Cross Country, and I completely forgot all about it. Maybe next year. By then I should have lost some more weight. Sorry for the hi-jack.

  5. #5
    davem's Avatar
    davem is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,258
    First, thank you. I figured the cat would make a strong secret weapon.

    Adding to the protein, I'll give it a go, as it is - it seems a bit much to get my protein much higher. I only eat two times a day, and sometimes even that feels like a chore. ( I might play with once a day feedings later. Get my dog on the same schedule too.)

    I'll see what I can do about the coffee, it's actually a lifestyle thing for me, I work from home, so when I decide to work from the local cafe I buy a coffee. I have switched from latte, but maybe see if I can switch to something else and cut back the coffee intake by half?

    I know there is a very real physical effect for me, if I take in some coffee prior to a work out, recovery goes faster, and I can work out longer at a higher output. However, I'm not working out every day, now am I?

    Danke!
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

  6. #6
    davem's Avatar
    davem is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,258
    HA! It was a lot of fun, minor tear in my achilles from it though. Mud bogging on two legs. There's also the spartan race, it's definitely something to do, ton of fun.


    Quote Originally Posted by befitby40 View Post
    No help. I'm new. But saw the Warrior Dash thing, I'm JEALOUS! My daughter and I were going to do that, she runs Cross Country, and I completely forgot all about it. Maybe next year. By then I should have lost some more weight. Sorry for the hi-jack.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

  7. #7
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    First, thank you. I figured the cat would make a strong secret weapon.

    Adding to the protein, I'll give it a go, as it is - it seems a bit much to get my protein much higher. I only eat two times a day, and sometimes even that feels like a chore. ( I might play with once a day feedings later. Get my dog on the same schedule too.)

    I'll see what I can do about the coffee, it's actually a lifestyle thing for me, I work from home, so when I decide to work from the local cafe I buy a coffee. I have switched from latte, but maybe see if I can switch to something else and cut back the coffee intake by half?

    I know there is a very real physical effect for me, if I take in some coffee prior to a work out, recovery goes faster, and I can work out longer at a higher output. However, I'm not working out every day, now am I?

    Danke!
    It's not so much *adding* protein as it is moving some consumption from the fat to the protein column. You end up equally full and staying full just as long. It's just that the protein adds more nutrients per calorie than the fat does.

    Caffeine is a drug. I continue to be surprised by how lax Mark is in his attitude toward it. Maybe he doesn't want to alienate a lot of readers. Yes it does make you feel better around workouts. So would popping a couple of bennies and some aspirin. Doesn't mean it's good for you.

  8. #8
    davem's Avatar
    davem is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,258
    Well, there are lots of drugs we're exposed to on the daily, and since coming off my inhaled steriods, I view caffeine as a kiddie's toy, which is about the same way I view alcohol, particularly when I make it. However, if one were to take a hard stance on caffeine that would remove tea, and chocolate, but you would also have to take a similar stance on ethanol, and I think successful uptake of such a regimen would have a greater falloff than currently.

    I think pragmatically one can say, it's minimally beneficial, avoid it. Then I think there is the aspect though that must also be balanced that there is a lot of culture surrounding it. Personally, my intake is due to my own unique "work culture". Not arguing though, I should probably reduce it.

    Although as an aside, prior to my diet change I would get significant non-malignant hand tremors and migraines, first line of defense for both was always two or three cups of coffee with a couple shots of espresso each. My neurologist felt it was a smart self medication program due to actual pharms having a potentially destructive toll on me. That said, I'm just drinking it because I can.

    I'll make a note of intake and moderate.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

  9. #9
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Well, there are lots of drugs we're exposed to on the daily, and since coming off my inhaled steriods, I view caffeine as a kiddie's toy, which is about the same way I view alcohol, particularly when I make it. However, if one were to take a hard stance on caffeine that would remove tea, and chocolate, but you would also have to take a similar stance on ethanol, and I think successful uptake of such a regimen would have a greater falloff than currently.

    I think pragmatically one can say, it's minimally beneficial, avoid it. Then I think there is the aspect though that must also be balanced that there is a lot of culture surrounding it. Personally, my intake is due to my own unique "work culture". Not arguing though, I should probably reduce it.

    Although as an aside, prior to my diet change I would get significant non-malignant hand tremors and migraines, first line of defense for both was always two or three cups of coffee with a couple shots of espresso each. My neurologist felt it was a smart self medication program due to actual pharms having a potentially destructive toll on me. That said, I'm just drinking it because I can.

    I'll make a note of intake and moderate.
    I have some neurological issues too, seizures and migraines. My neurologist was the one who told me to avoid caffeine like the plague. It will help in the short term but it is doing long term nerve damage. My seizures are now very infrequent and the migraines are gone completely. I still nibble a bit of baker's chocolate some evenings but I'm finding I'm more and more sensitive to it. More than one square keeps me awake.

    Yes there is a lot of social ritual attached to coffee. But who says you can't do the same thing but with decaf?

    I'm so glad you were able to get off the inhaled steroids. Those are some serious drugs.

  10. #10
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,781
    I get hand tremors and the coffee does help. I just drink one cup a day and I'm good to go now.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •