Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jump Squats Safe for Obese? page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

Jump Squats Safe for Obese?

Primal Fuel
    I've taken a liking to running the stairs at home and doing jump squats on the landing whenever the mood strikes. This kind of stuff is rather new to me (I'm used to doing joint-friendly things like the elliptical) and am wondering if I'm setting myself up for a knee injury because of my obesity. Do I need to wait until after I lose weight to do jumping exercises?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Go slow and let pain be your guide. Build up, always build up.

I'm a big fatty, at 5'11" and 240#, I'll jump down a couple feet as long as my knees are feeling good to go. Then again, I also have some decent muscle density due to weight bearing exercise. (I don't float in a pool either.)
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let pain be my guide. Though, I have trouble sometimes gauging whether or not an exercise is going to be too hard. Like, I really want to work up to doing pullups, so I usually do these silly looking pullups at the playground where I just lift up an inch or so. I read about doing negative pullups, so today I tried one but couldn't control the release and came down too fast. My shoulders made such awful cracking noises, I thought broke them. It was scary.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Did it hurt? I did that first time I did a negative as well, the realized that my shoulders felt pretty decent afterwards, came back the next day and hopped into another negative.

When I found things hurt, I didn't push it. When they didn't hurt I did push it. At the end of it all though, only you can really define what is too much for you right now, as you know your history. I'm an idiot, I'm constantly pushing myself, that why I'm nursing an achilles tear right now.

Then again, without pushing yourself, how can you achieve more?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Can you do tabata intervals of regular squats? If so, you may be ready for advanced stuff ... if not, I don't see the need for plyometrics just yet.

Trey is offline Junior Member
    I would keep the jump squats to a minimum until your weight gets down. I would practice things like squatting, modified push ups, and inverted rows until you are really good at them. Developing a solid strength base will allow you to work into some things like jump squats later down the line. Developing that strength base is going to be great for your metabolism as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Did it hurt? I did that first time I did a negative as well, the realized that my shoulders felt pretty decent afterwards, came back the next day and hopped into another negative.

When I found things hurt, I didn't push it. When they didn't hurt I did push it. At the end of it all though, only you can really define what is too much for you right now, as you know your history. I'm an idiot, I'm constantly pushing myself, that why I'm nursing an achilles tear right now.

Then again, without pushing yourself, how can you achieve more?
    My shoulders had this heat sensation for most of the day and by the next day they felt pretty much okay again.

My problem is not knowing how far to push things without going overboard. I get minor injuries a lot and then have to back off to the point that I start losing fitness ability. I tend to get injured doing everyday tasks, too, silly stuff like reaching for a glass of water has thrown out my back. Reflecting on this, I'm wondering if yoga would help. Maybe my overall body ergonomics is off and needs to be retrained.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    Can you do tabata intervals of regular squats? If so, you may be ready for advanced stuff ... if not, I don't see the need for plyometrics just yet.
    I had to look up tabata squats. No, I've never done that style of squatting, except for warm up sets before weighted squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I would keep the jump squats to a minimum until your weight gets down. I would practice things like squatting, modified push ups, and inverted rows until you are really good at them. Developing a solid strength base will allow you to work into some things like jump squats later down the line. Developing that strength base is going to be great for your metabolism as well.
    Should I focus on bodyweight squats, or would doing weighted squats help as well?

I'm up to 4 regular pushups per set. I was doing inverted rows at one point and dropped them for lat pulldowns, but will start up with the inverted rows again. It makes more sense to do the rows because they work out more muscles.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Should I focus on bodyweight squats, or would doing weighted squats help as well?

I'm up to 4 regular pushups per set. I was doing inverted rows at one point and dropped them for lat pulldowns, but will start up with the inverted rows again. It makes more sense to do the rows because they work out more muscles.
    Depends on how strong you are in the squat. I think the progression Mark has for the squat in the fitness e-book are pretty good (2 sets of 50 bodyweight squats before progressing to the next level), but if you've got access to weights to add load in a gradual and progressive manner you could definitely add weights at less than that, maybe 3x10 (3 sets of 10).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast