Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leptin reset, IF, or stay the course. page

erikJ is offline Senior Member

Leptin reset, IF, or stay the course.

Shop Now
    All right fellow PBer's, I have had some great success with Primal/paleo but am having a bit of angst with the ol common nemesis, belly. I have come down from 230lbs as of last year and am down to 197lbs but have stalled out here for several months, about 6 to be exact. So here's my question, Do y'all think I should do a Leptin Reset, or, Do some IF (lean gains) or a few full day fasts, or should I just stay eating the same and hope it will eventually change?
    Im 35
    6'4" 197lbs
    Am about 22% BF according to the online calculators. would like to get to about 10%
    I do Ashtanga yoga 3-5 days a week, have recently added a sprint/free running workout in once a week and do some heavy-ish weights once or twice a week depending on energy levels. Kettlebell swings Pull ups, Weighted squats, push ups, some push/press stuff.
    I eat 99% paleo/primal, Typically I have coffee in the am with Heavy cream, Then I workout, practice. Breakfast is usually a big salad with 1/2lb GF ground beef friend in coconut oil, some other veggies, maybe some berries. Late lunch would be something similar to Breakfast, Dinner is usually lighter, some sauted greens with some fish, maybe some macadamia nuts.
    I don't snack and I have recently stopped drinking in an effort to speed things along.

The pic is from today and I cant tell if I qualify for a Leptin reset as i don't feel Fat per-se but I'm not sure I'm lean enough to qualify for some IF what do you all think?Pooch pic..jpg

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Nothin?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Your pics aren't up yet--they need approval.

I'd go by what you see in the mirror or measurements, rather than weight, since you are likely building muscle and scale weight doesn't mean much at this stage.

If it were me, I'd IF for a week or two and observe your results. If it doesn't work for you, then try whatever makes the most sense to you.

IF has worked really well for me, but I only had about 14 lbs to lose, female, 48, 5' 6", 125 lbs. I'm now about 20% bodyfat & shrinking!

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    If you've been on PB that long and lost this much weight, I don't know that the leptin reset is going to help - you really might not need it - and I'd get tested by your doctor before jumping into it. Structured IF (the everyday kind with an eating window ala leangains) would be my personal suggestion, but that suggestion is based on what I've seen it do for others more than personal experience (I'm not down to my last pounds yet by any means). YMMV.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You may need to drop calories as you weigh less now.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'd get structured with the weights first. Then try IF. Leptin reset is an amazing tool, but I'm not sure you are the typical candidate...

mgoodness is offline Junior Member
    Are you absolutely sure about your body fat measurement? You look much leaner than 22%.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't do the leptin reset.
    Georgette

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    After seeing the pic, I am even more sure what you need is more/better LHT. Carb cycling likely would also work for you.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Carb refeeds and or the leangains type IF is what I would think. Leptin reset is really for people who are leptin resistant, and I don't think that is your issue, since you are fairly lean already. I also agree you don't look like you are 20% body fat.

I am female in my 40s, 5'7", 124 lbs and at 25% body fat. Eating a huge breakfast just leads me to eat more calories overall. I am eating in a 6 hour window with the occasional refeed, and I am managing to slowly lose. Once you are fairly low and just tweaking, I don't think leptin reset is the way to go.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast