Thread: Flax Meal page

aussie1girl is offline Member

Flax Meal

Primal Fuel
    Is flax meal ok to use while eating according to PB?

Thanks

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Yes.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

aussie1girl is offline Member
    Thanks

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I have a bag of it. You can get Bob's Red Mill at most general supermarkets. I can find it milled for $2.99 per 1 pound bag. Just don't bake it at too high of a temperature. It oxidizes very easily. Honestly, it probably shouldn't be cooked at all, but in the rare event I do, I try and keep it at 325*F. Note that unrefined flaxseed oil smokes at 225*F, so it's very unstable. Don't make it a regular part of your diet IMO.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    ChocoTaco, I didn't know that cooking flax meal came with dangers. I've been cooking the stuff at 450 degrees and then broiling it the last few minutes. Oops!
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Do you think microwaving it causes it to oxidize? I've been making Riivin's bread recipe and it requires about 1min 20 sec in the microwave.

Absolutely. It's a PUFA. It will oxidize with heat. It won't oxidize as easily as pure oil since it's naturally full of antioxidants that protects it in its whole meal form. Flaxseed oil is one of the most easy oils to go rancid! I store my pills in the fridge in a dark brown bottle, along with my fish oil.

A side note to Rivvin's recipe: why use flaxmeal? Use coconut flour. You'll get a similar result, it'll be fluffier and sweeter and you don't have all the oxidized PUFA's. I make "bread" with coconut flour and whipped egg whites all the time. It's good. If you don't make Rivvin's bread very often, I wouldn't worry about the little bit of microwaving. However, if it's a daily staple, I'd ditch the flaxmeal for coconut flour.

This goes for almond meal as well. It's easy to oxidize that as well. Coconut flour's the ticket IMO. I'd rather cook with white rice flour than almond or flaxmeal, but I tolerate starch well.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This goes for almond meal as well. It's easy to oxidize that as well.
    Aw geez, not almond meal too! My favorite pizza crust is almond meal and flax meal mixed with water. Darn, and my picky eating 3 yr old likes it as well. Guess I'm back to doing either a cauliflower and cheese crust or just a fried egg crust. Both are okay, but nothing like the yumminess of almond & flax.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can use the stuff. It won't kill you to eat oxidized PUFA's every once in awhile. I mean, these fake pizza crusts aren't exactly Primal anyway. They're all 20%. People eat food deep fried in soybean and canola oil every day, so heated almond meal isn't nearly as bad. That being said, if you do it, just be aware of what you're doing.

The fact is, every vegetable has antinutrients in it. That's why it irks me so much when people say wheat, corn and beans are horrible because it has phytic acid in it. Well, there's even more in nuts. So why eat them? It's all compromise. You cut out the worst stuff and try and eat as much of the best stuff as possible. However, life isn't worth living without the occasional ice cream or slice of pizza. I'll be damned if I go the rest of my life never eating another bowl of pasta. I'll just go in there accepting it beforehand, and have a really big workout so it all fits nicely in my glycogen stores and not on my belly.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-21-2011 at 05:54 PM.