Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for transitioning a child to primal (he hates meat) page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

Suggestions for transitioning a child to primal (he hates meat)

Oops the title should have said: (he doesn't like to eat a lot of meat)

Okay, so I am interested in transitioning my child to be maybe a goal of 80% primal. I would like some tips from those who have "been there." OR alternatively have chosen not to go there.

The problem: he isn't too big on meat.

The other problem: he is "reluctant" to try anything he decides he doesn't like. Or maybe you can say he refuses.

The other, other problem: He is underweight. This is no joke, and I am not just "concerned." The charts say it, we have a hard time finding clothes, and everyone says it too. He is also less strong muscle wise than other kids his age.

We are having some issues at home with his eating. He at one time until he was about 4 ate mostly fruit and veggies, with some meat/grains. NOW he wants to eat lots of grains & sugar, some meat, and very little veggies, and some fruit. He is 5 now.

The battle is this: I provide a good dinner (and even let him have input with limited choices) and he eats some of it, then says he is not hungry anymore, we have a battle (I say "this is what there is to eat, this IS dinner"). Inevitably after dinner he wants sugary/grain foods (mysteriously not so full now) and if allowed he will eat tons of them, literally, right after he "finished" his meal.

Yes, there is a problem with my parenting here, I am aware of it, and it will be fixed to some degree. But a lot of times I feel he is allowed a reward for eating so much of his healthy dinner. If he eats NONE or LITTLE of his dinner, then there is no treat until a small snack of fruit before bed. BUT the fact remains that if he is still so hungry after "dinner" then.....was he ever really full or is he just eating for pleasure?

So how can I get things back on track? Get him to gain weight? I don't want to turn into a Nazi Mom here. I do feel that it is irrational to believe he will never have bread/treats. But I do want him to start eating more primal, more veggies again, less carbs/sugar, etc.

Any advice from someone who has "been there" and done this OR from those who have been there and chose not to fight the grain/sugar battle with thier kids? I tend to prefer a middle ground with most issues, but I feel that his eating is a cornerstone for all of his life. He must eat well to live well....and he has fallen off track in the last year with that.....It also doesn't help that I can certainly not limit his foods to primal with all the sleepovers he does at his grandparents houses, trips we go on, etc.
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-20-2011 at 02:23 PM.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Little meat and veggies is ok if you have LOTS of fats. Eventually he'll lead up to more meat And it's not a reward to feed your kid crap foods. I know it's tempting, but rewarding him should be something else he enjoys (video games, TV, sports.)

And meals are a battle with kids, it's their chance at gaining some control/independence. Stick to your ground.

And he can't have carb/sugary treats if you don't have any in the house. There's lot of low-sugar "treats" made with coconut flour if that's a compromise for you And you can make lots of great jellos with Agar Agar.

freqz is offline Member
    It was a battle for us (our kids are not primal, but they eat very well compared to their peers). Basically, we had to put meat and veg on a plate and let them know that they had to eat all of that before they could have anything else. And we had to mean it. It took a couple of nights going to bed hungry to get that point across, but now I have two little broccoli and spinach eating machines (boys ages 8 and 4). This is one of those parenting deals where a little up front work pays off big in the end.

Never force the little guy to eat something, but don't yield and make him a big plate of pasta because he doesn't approve of what is on his plate. The 4 (almost 5) year old will now eat hamburger but generally wants to stick to chicken or pork. The 8 year old has grown out of that and would eat (rare!) steak every night if we let him.

Our boys ask for dessert every night-- most nights (6 nights a week or so) that means an apple or some grapes.

Good luck.

EDIT: oh yeah...the 8 year old is the same kind of skinny as your boy. Slim pants fall off. The little turkey has had a six pack since he was 6. He eats like a horse and still won't gain weight. He's happy and healthy though, just short and skinny.
    Last edited by freqz; 07-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Find a middle of the road treat/snack/dessert that he likes and that you approve of (coconut ice cream maybe?), and let it be known he can have some if and only if he clears his plate. You will have to be responsible for his portions, but if he's underweight that's not a big deal. And it is being strict, but you have to be strict or he'll walk all over you. And this way, it's positive reinforcement at least.

Yeah, like I said, there are some parenting issues on this thread.

So I am mainly hearing that a middle ground seems to be the favored road? I tend to stick to the middle myself.

The problem with cutting out all grains from the house is that my husband is still very much a SAD eater. He would just go and buy more since he has that ability. At least if it was just my kid, I could strip the cabinets bare and make sure not to arm him with cash in the grocery store......

I could probably get away with stripping all sugar from the house though since only the kiddo eats that. That is a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by freqz View Post
    EDIT: oh yeah...the 8 year old is the same kind of skinny as your boy. Slim pants fall off. The little turkey has had a six pack since he was 6. He eats like a horse and still won't gain weight. He's happy and healthy though, just short and skinny.
    Yeah, that is my son, especially the happy part. Except that he is still a little lacking in the muscle department. He is making strides into being more strong but.....he is certainly not a "typical" boy who has bounds of energy for doing sports/active things. He is much more cerebral and enjoys playing imagination games. Which is okay, that is just who he is. He still runs and plays hard and is active at other times.

Yes. Middle ground when it comes to having acceptable treats or when you're out.

Not middle ground when it comes to supper/meals. If you make something, he eats it or goes hungry. Trust me, kids won't go hungry for long. A couple of days of sticking to your ground will set him up for years of success I find giving kids options in what they're having helps too, lit ets them feel like they have some control. So for veggies tonight, would you like spinach, broccoli or cauliflower?

And hubby can eat grains, say at lunch during the work week or whatever. Meals that he prepares, kwim? And if your hubby wants grains, let him go buy them. That's how it works in this house. Luckily my husband isn't very motivated to visit the grocery store so it's not a huge deal LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bionicsamm View Post
    Little meat and veggies is ok if you have LOTS of fats. Eventually he'll lead up to more meat And it's not a reward to feed your kid crap foods. I know it's tempting, but rewarding him should be something else he enjoys (video games, TV, sports.)

And meals are a battle with kids, it's their chance at gaining some control/independence. Stick to your ground.

And he can't have carb/sugary treats if you don't have any in the house. There's lot of low-sugar "treats" made with coconut flour if that's a compromise for you And you can make lots of great jellos with Agar Agar.
    Much truth here. The other problem comes from school....he gets fed breakfast and snacks there. And its not at all as bad as most preschools, but it does contain grains. Sometimes sugar. Always fruit/veggies at least. Eggs always at breakfast. I guess maybe the school time could be his 20% time huh?

How can I get more fat into his diet? Any suggestions? I try to liberally coat his bread with butter if he has bread, and cook his eggs in ghee, but beyond that....I am kinda at a loss. I butter cooked broccoli before he dips it in ranch, does that count?

One "good"ish snack I found is coconut milk ice bars w/fruit sweeteners. They are super high GI fruits, but hey, at least its a fruit. And they are high in MCT fat.
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-20-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Coconut oil/ghee to cook everything. Full-fat dressings (but getting sugar/crap free is hard.) Butter. Full-fat milk/cheese/yogurt.

And how does the school work for kids with dietary restrictions? I'm guessing they have something set up if a kid is allergic to eggs/nuts etc. So you can get around the grains thing at preschool if you want. And yes, it could be the 20%

nolineon is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alternate title for this post:

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!"

Thank you Pink Floyd...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast