Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need recipe for "hamburger buns" with tapioca and/or white rice flours page

Betho is offline Senior Member

need recipe for "hamburger buns" with tapioca and/or white rice flours

Primal Fuel
    I've got hamburgers on the agenda this week. My husband is totally NOT on the PB bandwagon so I got a pkg of regular buns for his burgers but I know the kids will feel left out if they don't get them either. Having said that, I've eliminated wheat from their diet so I would really love to be able to make some buns or something for them to have instead.

I don't have any xanthan or guar gum, which I know is a key ingredient, so is there anything I CAN do for them? I'll just eat mine sans bun in either case.

gingernut is offline Senior Member

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Uh, why?

The bun is the most boring part of the burger. I just take my burger and eat it like a dressed steak. Tomatoes, pickles, mustard, bacon - yum!

That being said, If I NEEDED something breadlike, I would take this recipe for banana bread on the basis that it does indeed come out very bread-like, and substitute cauliflower or some type of squash for the banana. If I needed buns I would probably try and bake them individually in small, round, flat-bottomed pyrex dishes.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    I've tried Rivvin's angry bread, and while it is fast and easy the recipe I linked is a much better approximation of bread.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    I like oopsie rolls as buns
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I've not made the oopsie rolls, but I do like Rivvin's angry bread for hamburgers. I make them in a dish about the size of a packaged burger bun then slice in half and toast both sides of each half in a pan with either bacon drippings or butter. They seem to hold up better that way.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    These are GREAT! I would make them a little thinner and make each one a bun rather than splitting them. Chebe's website might have recipes for buns too; they have a lot of recipes for what to do with the mix.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    I do "burger salads": pile of lettuce, then the burger patty and all the toppings I'd normally put on a burger. The "real" burgers end up looking skimpy and sad by comparison. Of course, your kids may still want that bun even though the bunned burgers are borrrrrrring.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Betho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Thank you! I've actually been looking for a chebe recipe since I've heard such great things about it and I can get tapioca flour so cheap.

jhc - I agree with you, I eat my burgers that way too. But my 2-year old and 4-year old kids don't see things the same way as I do. Given the fact that my husband is not primal and still wants a bun with his, I'm not going to make my kids eat the way I do and be envious of his bun. It would be a whole lot easier to make them something of their own which would seem more special to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast