Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on how to make my own sandbags?? page

Shep1824 is offline Member

Advice on how to make my own sandbags??

I want to make some sandbags. I would like to have one duffel style bag and a few 10-25 pound bags that I can easily add or remove. What is the best way to make these so they can handle being thrown around and slammed on the ground without busting open? I thought about putting the sand in Ziploc bags and wrapping the entire bag in duct tape. I imagine this would be pretty strong.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i made a 50 pound bag by putting sand in quart sized sandwich bags, taping the seal, putting them in another sandwich bag, taping that seal, then throwing them all in a duffel style gym bag. i like it because i can take the weight out and add as much as i want to a back pack for pull-up, dips, pushups, etc.

Renn is offline Junior Member
    I would look to make several bags like described in this Back to Primal blog post:

Back To Primal: Grip strength bag.

I have used a tire tube to make a bulgarian bag and they are very durable and take a ton of abuse. I think they would be perfect to fit inside your duffel bag

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Thats so cool than someone linked to my blog :-)

I'll be posting and article soon on making larger sandbags. I'll try get back here later today to add some tips, too busy right now.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I used the same procedure as Primal Rob but my bags busted. I've been looking for tougher bags.... for months. Yeah I haven't been trying too hard. I'm still using it (i fucking love that thing) but with less weight, still challenging though.

Try sandbag hill sprints! actually sandbag anything is better. Sandbag overhead presses...

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I used contractor clean up bags. Double them up, cut what you don't need, use zip ties and duct tape. I made 4 25 pound bags. I then used an army navy sea bag... about 24x36 in with a draw string. Easy to load and unload depending on exercise. Total cost was like 30 usd.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I bought a 50 lb bag of sand at Home Depot and then wrapped it up (mummy style) with duct tape. It has held up really well. I throw, drop it, and generaly abuse it. It has held up for over 6 months now without breaking open.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    By far the best homemade solution is to just put bags of sand in an old rucksack or bag. This one I made about a year ago and only recently became unusable. I left the sand in the original plastic bags it came in and added a bit of tape for added security.

http://youtu.be/3lBLKM5ptN4

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I did a similar bag as arthur above. Canvas duffle filled with contractor trash bags doubled up and filled with 20lbs of water softener salt each. 100lbs total and I haven't taken any out yet. I love to work out with it and I think my total cost was around $25 but only because I had 100lbs worth of salt sitting in my basement.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I bought a 50 lb bag of sand at Home Depot and then wrapped it up (mummy style) with duct tape. It has held up really well. I throw, drop it, and generaly abuse it. It has held up for over 6 months now without breaking open.
    My only issue with this is the sand is so tightly packed that to me it defeats the purpose of the bag. Have you noticed it "loosen up"? Part of the fun for me is controlling the damn thing. I'm not knocking your approach, just saying, I think keeping it in its original bag takes away from the challenge of the sandbag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast