Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PMS, belly fat and nuts, oh my! page

Rina is offline Member

Cool PMS, belly fat and nuts, oh my!

Shop Now
    The good: been primal for just about a year now. love it. much easier now that i don't look for the bad food replacements. i do about 50-75g carbs (2 fruit and the rest veggies, shredded coconut) and 60-65% fat.

The bad: my PMS has gotten worse in the last six months. before i would be surprised that i got my period because i didn't have any PMS. now i feel fantastic the week after my period and then i'm bloated and my boobs are sooooooore and i'm miserable for the rest of the month! this month i felt boob relief by upping my carbs to about 80g per day.

The ugly: and i feel i've gotten chunkier in the middle. i eat a lot of butter... maybe 4-5 tbs. per day. and i still eat a few handfuls of nuts per day.

SO THE QUESTIONS ARE....... have YOU felt relief from PMS boob soreness from eating more carbs? yes? then what kind? fruit or starch?

is it the nuts or the butter that could have added the middle section?

thanks for any input!

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    1) That's like 500-600 calories a day just from butter
    2) Nuts are also very calorically dense
    Not surprising you've gained fat.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rina View Post
    is it the nuts or the butter that could have added the middle section?
    My money would be on the nuts. A few handfuls is actually quite a lot. They are pro-inflammatory—rather high in polyunsaturates, including omega-6s, and have a good dose of antinutrients. There is even said to be some evidence that lectins can bind to insulin receptors.

antinutrients "insulin receptors" - Google Search

If that's going on I doubt that would help.

Mark suggests soaking/dehydrating nuts for at least seven hours in accordance with Sally Fallon's advice in Nourishing Traditions.

Soaking Seeds and Nuts | Mark's Daily Apple

And probably best to keep it to one handful at a time and possibly not every day.

Rina is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
    I know. But I get so confused even after a year: calories count, calories don't count. fat is good, fat makes you fat. what !?!?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Except calories have nothing to do with weight gain—at least not as a causal factor. It's hormonally driven:

Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple

Yeah but get real. She's increased her caloric intake pretty significantly (a few handful of nuts a day is a LOT of calories) and now she's finding she's gained fat. It's not such a mystery. Even if everyone on these forums pretty much covers their ears and shouts "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" whenever anyone suggests eating more calories will make you gain weight.

kenfuji is offline Member
    maybe there is more to the story? how are you sleeping habits? exercise? stress levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Rina View Post
    I know. But I get so confused even after a year: calories count, calories don't count. fat is good, fat makes you fat. what !?!?
    Fat doesn't make you fat, but eating a thousand calorie surplus every day from fat (or any other nutrient) will make you fat.

Rina is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenfuji View Post
    maybe there is more to the story? how are you sleeping habits? exercise? stress levels?
    i actually do think that it's food related. stress is the same as it was. got two small kids that wake me up too early and keep me frazzled. but it's always been this way with them.

Rina is offline Member
    Yeah but get real. She's increased her caloric intake pretty significantly (a few handful of nuts a day is a LOT of calories) and now she's finding she's gained fat. It's not such a mystery. Even if everyone on these forums pretty much covers their ears and shouts "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" whenever anyone suggests eating more calories will make you gain weight.
    i'm tending to agree with you. i've always heard about the nuts, but it breaks my heart that the butter would be a problem as well. i've so enjoyed smothering my cooked (in bacon grease) veggies with more butter.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast