Thread: Pros and Cons of Probiotics page

nolineon is offline Member

Pros and Cons of Probiotics

Primal Fuel
    Article on Probiotics for your consideration:

Probiotics: the pros and cons. - By Amanda Schaffer - Slate Magazine

tl;dr - While the idea does make sense and seems rather compelling, the science is relatively new. Proceed with caution as most of the major trials weren't designed to monitor adverse effects.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Pros: the bioticness of it, promotes bacteria life
    Cons: this may be something desirable or not or it may have little effect

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolineon View Post
    Article on Probiotics for your consideration:

Probiotics: the pros and cons. - By Amanda Schaffer - Slate Magazine
    From the article:

The problem comes when it collides with a food industry itching to exploit the multibillion-dollar market for functional foods.
    That's a good point. And part of that problem is that to achieve product differentiation they'll be quick to add extra things in that might be counter-productive.

For example, some yoghurt and some bottles of probiotic pills contain bifidus, but that's the one found in the gut of breastfeeding babies. It's not clear that it's appropriate for adults and, as I understand it, it can be invasive and a bad neighbour to other bacteria.

Then they might get product differentiation by putting prebiotics, such as inulin, in there, too. But apparently inulin can feed bad bacteria just as well as good ones, so perhaps that isn't always a good idea.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    So it's always going to be better to make your own yogurt, pickles, and sauerkraut.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I think it's safe to say marketing live cultures in little plastic containers with questionable dairy products, sugar, flavored to almost taste like a strawberry, and died pink is new and a lot weird. Personally, I wonder how many of these probiotic products are providing live cultures after packaging, storing in warehouses, transporting, storing in more warehouses, and then sitting in the refrigerator section of your grocery before getting lugged home. It's a crazy long pipe-line.

I watched a program on the BBC comparing pre and probiotics that I thought was interesting. - Truth about Food on the BBC. Of course, it's not hard science but an interesting thread to follow.
    I know Mark has written to some extent about prebiotics here. I'm thinking probiotics get more attention in the media because someone has figured out how to market them.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    So it's always going to be better to make your own yogurt, pickles, and sauerkraut.
    This. And a helluva lot cheaper too.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't eat any of those products that contain probiotics but instead stick with supplemental probiotics or home made fermented foods.