Thread: Still hate veggies page

nitrofish1 is offline Member

Still hate veggies

OK, so I was reading an article on how to get some veggies in my life, spent 21 years hating the things. But I came across an article that I can agree with that to make them into sauces and such, and I do like some raw vegetables. But it said that to puree/liquify them and make a juice out of them (Because frankly I love juice...), you end up losing some of the nutrients that you would have had if you ate them whole? But if I slice a raw carrot and put it in the blender, isn't it the same end product?

Is there a way to get some green veggies in with a morning juice without the poor taste?

thanks

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    I don't do juice, but I do puree cooked veggies for soup. Just add some broth and cream and you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobirdy View Post
    I don't do juice, but I do puree cooked veggies for soup. Just add some broth and cream and you are done.
    that's actually a good idea. sounds like a good thickener for a meaty soup but for breakfasts I still want to try some veggies in a juice, it sounded to me like a painless way of working them in.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    If you "juice" them,. you lose the pulp and a bunch of the nutrients. If you blend them into a smoothie, you are getting the whole plant, so you don't lose very many, if any, of the nutrients. The only issue with smoothies is that often they are a vehicle for fruit, and people use fruit to cover up the taste of the veggies. So you have to be careful because it can tip you over your carb limit pretty quickly.

That having been said, I drink a green smoothie every morning, with leafy greens, kelp powder, carrots, zucchini, and low glycemic fruit (like berries) along with some good fats like avocado or raw egg yolk. I blend it with either raw (on the rare occasions I can get it) or organic non-homogenized milk, or kombucha tea, or yerba mate tea. It makes a delicious and healthy way to start my day. This does take up pretty much all of my carbs for the day though.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You can blend baby spinach into a smoothie without affecting the flavour much.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

using the fitday tracker, i can easily see how my "average day" of carbs on this, can easily go overboard. but yet with my average day, i fell within where i wanted to be. with a large carrot, some spinach and strawberries juiced up, consumed most of my carbs for the day. just putting in what i think i would normally have i came out to 73g of carbs, 100g of fat, and 73g of protein. fat being 60% of the diet with the others at a respectable 20%

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrofish1 View Post

Is there a way to get some green veggies in with a morning juice without the poor taste?

thanks
    I've heard that kale is pretty easily incorporated into smoothies. I've never tried it since I'm not really into smoothies, and I like my kale in chip form :-) But I understand it blends well with fruit flavors.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmya View Post
    I've heard that kale is pretty easily incorporated into smoothies. I've never tried it since I'm not really into smoothies, and I like my kale in chip form :-) But I understand it blends well with fruit flavors.
    Raw kale is a goitrogen, though. Probably oxalates that are the problem.

Some people like to see some of these compounds as the plant's defence—after all it can't run away. The thing to remember is that the raw/cooked thing is the opposite way to round to what Conventional Wisdom believes it to be. That's to say that while much animal food can actually be eaten raw (though that's not perhaps wise with much of what you can buy these days), much plant-food requires processing—cooking, lactic-fermenting, etc.—to be in the best state to eat—in some cases even to be safe to eat.

Fruit and stuff like carrots I'd juice—well, I'd probably eat them whole myself—but they'd certainly be OK to juice. Leafy greens, stuff like cabbage, are something I wouldn't juice. Boil 'em or eat them as sauerkraut.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    I drink a green smoothie every morning. It is mostly romaine lettuce and baby spinach. I add a pear and an apple for taste and sometimes a 1/2 banana to thicken it up. The trick is to ensure that it is mostly greens with a little fruit and not the other way around.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Raw kale is a goitrogen, though. Probably oxalates that are the problem.

Some people like to see some of these compounds as the plant's defence—after all it can't run away. The thing to remember is that the raw/cooked thing is the opposite way to round to what Conventional Wisdom believes it to be. That's to say that while much animal food can actually be eaten raw (though that's not perhaps wise with much of what you can buy these days), much plant-food requires processing—cooking, lactic-fermenting, etc.—to be in the best state to eat—in some cases even to be safe to eat.

Fruit and stuff like carrots I'd juice—well, I'd probably eat them whole myself—but they'd certainly be OK to juice. Leafy greens, stuff like cabbage, are something I wouldn't juice. Boil 'em or eat them as sauerkraut.
    Interesting. Obviously I'm still learning, but I guess it's a good thing I cook the heck out of my kale and most other vegetables too. Now when you say "leafy greens" how do salad greens play into that? I actually like romaine lettuce grilled, but other lettuce (for salads and wraps), are those okay raw?