Thread: Fermented foods and teeth page

OG Bobby Johnson is offline Junior Member

Fermented foods and teeth

Shop Now
    Hello all,

So, I just started to eat raw sauerkraut. I noticed, afterwards, my teeth felt raw and stripped. My teeth are in good shape and I never get that feeling. I know its very acidic. Granted, I ate a lot of it, in a span of a few days. I wanted to know, is there any way to minimize the effects? Should I eat it sparingly or maybe with something else? I don't want any long term damage to my teeth.

Thanks

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    That's how my teeth feel when I eat something high acid. This may sound odd, but try eating the sauerkraut after something fatty that coats your teeth. Might work. Besides, sauerkraut was made to accompany fatty meats, I say.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Bobby Johnson View Post
    Hello all,

So, I just started to eat raw sauerkraut. I noticed, afterwards, my teeth felt raw and stripped. My teeth are in good shape and I never get that feeling. I know its very acidic.
    pH of around 4, apparently—took me awhile to find the figure:

Ph, Ph value, Ph-wert, Potentiel hydrogne, Pondus hydrogenii, Potencial hidrgeno: scientific basics: nutrition science - definition - food knowledge - food information - glossary - foodlexicon

That is quite acidic, but less so than an apple, for example. I guess you could rinse your mouth with water afterwards—probably not a good idea to brush your teeth after eating something acidic—but whether it's really necessary ...

The best thing for dental health seems to be having enough minerals in the diet and enough fat-soluble vitamins (particularly D). Vitamin C, and sauerkraut is one source of that, seems important, too. Other than that, avoid sugar and refined carbs (probably because the associated blood-sugar spiking upsets the balance of minerals in the blood, which can cause then to be withdrawn from the teeth) ... and wholegrains as well (because of the mineral-binding antinutrients in them).