Thread: Sprinting Workout Questions page

Shep1824 is offline Member

Sprinting Workout Questions

Shop Now
    I am currently transitioning from P90x to Prmal Blueprint Fitness. My question is about sprinting.... Can I do the P90x Plyometrics workout as my sprinting routine? My hart rate is up in the 160's during this workout so it is about 80% - 85% max.

My next question is about the time. The Plyometrics workout is just under an hour. If I use this as my sprinting workout, should I cut it in half or reduce the time at all?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    from a metabolic standpoint, doing the plyo program would be fine. i think it would be a good idea to cut it down though. on my sprint days, i don't think i actually run for more than five minutes total.

from a sprinting standpoint, the plyo program might not be as great. in my opinion, nothing beats sprinting. hill sprints, field sprints, track sprints...they're all a kick ass exercise and they make you better at sprinting. they also don't ever get any easier, because you're constantly pushing yourself to the max. there's no replacement in my eyes, but there are a few substitutes.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Probably not, and yes.

Sprinting is going as hard as you can for 10-20 seconds, resting, then repeating for 4-8 sprints. 80% of your max heart rate isn't going to give you the benefits that you want. Even cutting the workout down to 20 minutes, you will still never be quite as intense as you could be for those short sprints. The plyo routine is too long and you won't push yourself as hard as you should if you know you have nearly an hour (or even twenty minutes) more to go.

Get outside and run a hundred meter dash a few times, as hard and fast as you can go. Rest in between, until you feel ready to go again.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1824 View Post
    I am currently transitioning from P90x to Prmal Blueprint Fitness. My question is about sprinting.... Can I do the P90x Plyometrics workout as my sprinting routine? My hart rate is up in the 160's during this workout so it is about 80% - 85% max.

My next question is about the time. The Plyometrics workout is just under an hour. If I use this as my sprinting workout, should I cut it in half or reduce the time at all?
    I just did Plyometrics yesterday, and I definitely like and appreciate it. But I don't think it compares to sprinting. I've been doing P90X since August 2010, and Plyo borders "chronic cardio", I think. Even though you are pushing yourself for a minute, with a little break in between each move, you're never really going at your max for very long in any really functional movement. I find that the fast pace of the workout keeps me from concentrating, and the length of the workout leaves me bored and anxious at about the 40 minute mark.

Then again, it may just be me. I sit at a desk all day and my legs are stiff by the time I get into my home gym. That being said, I did do hill sprints for the first time on Saturday, and I was breathing harder within 3 minutes than I do in ANY P90X workout (on par with Insanity, if you've done that.)

Shep1824 is offline Member
    Thanks guys. I went home yesterday, took off my shoes, and went out in the yard and did 11 sprints, 40 yards each. That is all the space I have in my yard so I am going to find a field or track nearby. It was great. I was sweating, my heart was pumping, and I was done in 10 minutes!