Thread: optimal ratio of saturated to monounsaturated fat

optimal ratio of saturated to monounsaturated fat

Shop Now
    Hi

I've a question about fat intake. Is there an ideal or optimal ratio of saturated to monounsaturated fat which we should aim for?

I understand that the ideal ratio is 1:1? Although I've also heard that 4:1 is good enough?

Is this true? What are the reasons behind this?

Thanks!

1:1 to 4:1 is the ideal and acceptable ratios of omega 6 : omega 3 fatty acids. I don't know what the ratio of monounsaturated fats and saturated fats are, if they even exist. The good news is animal products have plenty of both, so a diet rich in meats, eggs, good quality cheeses and good fatty fruits like avocados and olives will provide plenty of both. Keep your omega 6 intake low by eliminating grains, nuts, chocolate, legumes and vegetable/seed oils and throw some fatty wild caught fish in there every few days to get a nice omega 3 boost and you should be golden.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I'd be interested to know if there is an ideal ratio. Mine is about a little heavy on the mono side, but not too much. It's pretty close to 1:1.
    Most of the stearic acid in saturated fats get converted to oleic acid (mono) in the liver anyway, so it might not be as easy as just eating a ratio.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I'd be interested to know if there is an ideal ratio. Mine is about a little heavy on the mono side, but not too much. It's pretty close to 1:1.
    Most of the stearic acid in saturated fats get converted to oleic acid (mono) in the liver anyway, so it might not be as easy as just eating a ratio.
    im curious as well, i veer in the mono direction too. my sat fat is usually from eggs

Quote Originally Posted by FitChutney View Post
    Hi

I've a question about fat intake. Is there an ideal or optimal ratio of saturated to monounsaturated fat which we should aim for?

I understand that the ideal ratio is 1:1? Although I've also heard that 4:1 is good enough?

Is this true? What are the reasons behind this?

Thanks!
    IIRC, Chris Masterjohn recommended 50:50 in a podcast recently.

He didn't give a rationale, but maybe this comes from Mary Enig. When reviewing her book Know Your Fats, he said:

Know Your Fats has the distinction of being the only book about fats written for a popular audience and by an actual lipid scientist. ... [it] belongs on the shelf of anyone needing a reference for information on fats and oils, and deserves a read by anyone interested in receiving a basic education about fats by a practicing lipid scientist, unaffected by the advice of politically correct nutrition.
    Know Your Fats!

Now—actually in another piece of writing—she says:

They play a vital role in the health of our bones. For calcium to be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure, at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated.
    She cites these references in support of that:

Watkins, B A, et al, "Importance of Vitamin E in Bone Formation and in Chrondrocyte Function" Purdue University, Lafayette, IN, AOCS Proceedings, 1996; Watkins, B A, and M F Seifert, "Food Lipids and Bone Health," Food Lipids and Health, R E McDonald and D B Min, eds, p 101, Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York, NY, 1996
    Proven Health Benefits of Saturated Fats

If that's true, it sounds like a pretty good reason to me.

1:1 sound reasonably correct considering the fat breakdown of most animals is close to that.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Shop Now
    The only fat ratio I'm concerned with is keeping PUFA low VS the rest (SAT & MONO). Saturated fats are more stable and therefore better for cooking with, otherwise both saturated and monounsaturated are very healthy fats.