0 0%
  • 5 hours and above

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do you spend in the kitchen? page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

How long do you spend in the kitchen?

Primal Fuel
    On average how long do you spend cooking, preparing and cleaning up a day?

trippplez is offline Member
    Can I guess that you are asking because you are frustrated by the total amount of time for preparing even the bare minimum of meals for the day? ... For the record, hour and a half maybe, sometimes two hours.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I like to fiddle in the kitchen, I almost never make bulk meals and I don't have a dishwasher soo.. Maybe a bit over 2 hours. And then there is shopping for food and actually EATING haha

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say it's less than 3 hrs per day.

Breakfast -- 20 minutes prep, about 5-10 minutes clean up. Lunch -- it's reheating. Dinner -- 30-35 minutes prep and about 10 minutes clean up. WE usually have dinner left overs for lunch. I often don't reheat it even.

And most of our snacks are raw. We have reverted to fruit/nut snacks, because they are easy for us to carry. And, no harm done for us. Three meals of normal primal stuff, then usually 1-2 snacks. DS has more snacks than DH and I do.

Also, I clean my prep gear and pots/pans as I'm cooking and plating up, so that I don't have many dishes after a meal to do -- just the plates, silverware, glasses.

So, easy.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the day, but I probably average about an hour, maybe a little more.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'd say I average 2 or a little more hours. During the week, I spend very little time cooking, but on the weekends I might spend an entire afternoon (and evening) cooking up stuff for the coming week.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    20 min cooking and cleaning up breakfast, 10m cooking and cleaning up lunch, 45-60m cooking and cleaning up dinner and 10m making another ferment or broth or some such ... definitely less than 2hrs/day, preparing every bite our 7 family members eat almost 100% from scratch each day.

I used to spend a lot more when I was cooking lowfat, b/c it's so hard to make foods lowfat and taste good. I used recipes from Cooking Light, and the ingredients lists were miles long. Dinner always took at least an hour. Salting & peppering meat and throwing it on the grill/pan/oven is so much simpler and always tastes good.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    generally under an hour prepping and cooking.

...what's cleaning?

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    All my time is spent on dinner. I skip breakfast and eat lunch at work. We usually spend a couple hours in the evening making dinner and eating. Sometimes we make a whole meal and then eat but other times we will just make food as we go and take a couple hours. I like to have a clean kitchen so I usually make sure everything is clean before doing anything else. I like to use the time to socialize with my wife and daughter without the TV interupting. I consider it a nice relaxing time.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

freqz is offline Member
    I normally get home from work about the time the Mrs. is starting dinner so I jump in and help-- we chat about the day while we cook, the kids play quietly somewhere away from the kitchen, then we all sit down and enjoy our meal together. Time in the kitchen, for us, as a couple really helps keep everything chugging along nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast