Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the gym... finally page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hurrah! Was back at the gym for the first time in weeks on Tuesday evening, following my little, er, back problem.

I'm not quite 100% yet - I would say I'm at 95%, but whilst I've hated every moment of being in such pain, it has taught me some valuable lessons:

(1) To really listen to my body, rather than just assuming the aches and pains are part of getting older (I'm still in my 30s for goodness sake!).

(2) To not rush recovery. I am taking my own advice and not going back to the gym until next week. I didn't suffer any kind of relapse after my first venture, but my muscles are very sore after being inactive for so long and I know I won't be able to hold my form (neutral spine, neutral spine) properly. In the meantime, lots of walking and continuing the physio's rehab exercises.

(3) To be grateful for a body that can heal well - and I am convinced it is partly to do with the much better WOE I now follow. Garbage in, garbage out - or the reverse, in the primal way of life!

(4) To take advice and not think that I know better than others. Or rather, stop being so stubborn and accept assistance when it is offered.

(5) To enjoy what I can do now and not wish I could do what the really flexible/fit person can do. It will come back in time - and in truth I am probably in better physical shape now than I was before the pain got really bad. I can stand up straight for the first time in months, which still feels slightly odd.

Just thought I'd share, because I feel so good!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I'm so happy for you, PK!!!

Mad props for hanging in there <3

Thank you - it&#39;s been a little hard going!

Better Each Day Guest

Good Job!!!! You will get back at it in no time. I think walking is a great thing. and so enjoyable too.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member

Try to throw in some bodyweight work too...I do that when I walk my dog, pull ups, push ups, pistols, whenever the opportunity arises.

@BED - thank you. Yes, I really appreciate walking now!

@primalclubber - I will do, once I feel a bit more self confident in my back strength. The physio exercises are focussing on core stability and also flexibility and they do involve some bodyweight stuff, but I&#39;m just a bit wary of pushing it too much too fast, if you see what I mean.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member

Definitely let your body determine the pace of your recovery. More times than not I&#39;ve let my ego determine my recovery from injury, and often to great regret.

Haha! Yes, that described me perfectly until this time - the ego was very powerful indeed! I hope I&#39;ve learned my lesson now!

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Awesome job PrimalK!

Glad to hear your feeling better!

-Sean

Thank you, SB.

I had a bit of a worry last night as I started to get a few pains in my leg, but I soon realised I was actually hurting all over from post-exercise muscle soreness - I&#39;d forgotten what it felt like after absence from the gym!

Today - no pain in my leg and the remnants of core muscle and bicep/tricep pain from the workout - I can cope with that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast