Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilates/yoga/walking until I feel fitter? page

Glamorama is offline Senior Member

Pilates/yoga/walking until I feel fitter?

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing PB for 6 weeks. In the first 4 weeks I didn't do any exercise as I simply felt too unfit and out of breath. In the last 2 weeks I have slowly been returning to my normal (pre- babyweight) self so i have walked 40-60 min daily at a brisk pace. I do this easily and quite enjoy it.

In October I am joining a gym, but I can't see myself doing strenght-training by myself for a while yet, I still need to ease into it while my body is slowly getting slimmer and stronger. My plan is to do pilates/yoga for a while, combined with a weekly sprint and my daily walks. And another thing, is Body Pump-classes a good way to ease into the strenght-training according to Grok? Thanks for your help.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    PB Fitness includes 3 things: Move slowly. Lift heavy things. Sprint occasionally.

A separate rule is to play.

It sounds like you have the walking down, and the sprinting as well. If you don't feel comfortable lifting heavy things (this could be pushups and pullups, or it could be weights) then you should continue to work up to it. Lifting heavy things is on an equal footing with the other two for maximum health and fitness, but it is often the last one that people do.

I have no idea what a Body Pump class entails.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Yoga will be a form of strength training for you for a long time if you're starting from stracth.

Hire a trainer to teach you how to do pushups, pullups, squats, deadlifts, bench press and standing overhear press... that will keep you busy forever.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I'm biased because I'm a yoga teacher, but I feel strongly that everyone should be doing yoga no matter what else they're doing. Doing yoga allows me to safely do all the sprinting, lifting, and metcon I want to do. It builds a solid foundation of strength and flexibility--not just of muscles but of joints and connective tissue--that will allow you to be more successful in your other fitness activities. Plus, it makes you feel awesome.

If you're talking about using yoga as your LHT workout, absolutely. Especially if you're new to it. It's harder than it looks (depending on the style/series, of course). I've been doing it for almost ten years, have a daily practice, and teach several classes a week, and I still find it to be really challenging, like into "my muscles are shaking and I'm going to collapse" challenging. Basically, it's as hard or as easy as you want to make it.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your advice guys, it's very helpful. I used to lift heavy with free weights, but it has been 6 years and 3 kids since my last good lift! Body-pump is free weights in a class with loud music and an instructor. It was a great way of getting into weights and lifting as they teach you the correct technique.
    I agree that yoga will be extremely helpful in order to succeed with my heavy lifting. Funny how going PB has given me the urge, need and want of movement, something I never felt while eating according to CW.

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member
    You should download the Primal fitness handbook anyway, as it has a plan for working up to the heavy strength exercises, and I think anyone is capable of the beginning ones, like push-ups against a wall. There's really no need to wait on it.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I'm biased because I'm a yoga teacher, but I feel strongly that everyone should be doing yoga no matter what else they're doing. Doing yoga allows me to safely do all the sprinting, lifting, and metcon I want to do. It builds a solid foundation of strength and flexibility--not just of muscles but of joints and connective tissue--that will allow you to be more successful in your other fitness activities. Plus, it makes you feel awesome.

If you're talking about using yoga as your LHT workout, absolutely. Especially if you're new to it. It's harder than it looks (depending on the style/series, of course). I've been doing it for almost ten years, have a daily practice, and teach several classes a week, and I still find it to be really challenging, like into "my muscles are shaking and I'm going to collapse" challenging. Basically, it's as hard or as easy as you want to make it.
    This. People don't realize how challenging yoga can be. And it really is "as hard or as easy as you want to make it."

Amen sista!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Agreed... I'm a guy who lifts, sprints and does yoga... yoga fills in the gaps I miss with my other traininig. love it...

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Yoga is fantastic, both for some exercise and also for stress relief.

I personally don't like Bodypump for beginners, too much potential for injury. Either a good trainer(very hard to find) or a good body-weight program would be preferable, or if you want to do weights, find a good instructional. I think The New Rules For Lifting For Women is highly recommended, though I view Starting Strength as gospel(I'm biased).

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    People don't realize how challenging yoga can be. And it really is "as hard or as easy as you want to make it."
    I'm reminded of Priscilla Patrick who does yoga on the PBS channel. She's an older lady and still rocking it out. I'm sure she'd give lots of younger people a run for their money.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast