Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't want to gain any weight page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Don't want to gain any weight

Shop Now
    I switched from vegan to paleo, and am at a good weight for my body. I don't really want to gain any weight and am wondering that if switching from vegan, where I ate minimal protein, to paleo (eating protein 3 times a day) if I will gain weight. Just wondering how this all works out as my body switches over to a fat and protein diet.

Will Turner is offline Junior Member
    It's a big dietary change, yeah?
    I understand what you're saying about maintenance but your weight might fluctuate a bit over the next few weeks as you get adjusted. From your post it seems you watch weight carefully--I would personally concentrate on following the program and see how you feel after 3-4 weeks. Scale can be added back in then and you can reevaluate.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Weight is not really the important thing. Would it bother you if your clothes all fit loosely but your scale said you had gained a couple pounds? Throw away your scales. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    You will probably gain some muscle from the increased protein intake, but that's a good thing!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The scale is a terrible indicator of health and body composition. Look in the mirror, take some measurements, and check how much you can lift. Ditch your scale.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Please take your focus off the number on the scale. Look at "Ditch the Scale!" in my sig - and then do it. Don't let an arbitrary number dictate your goals.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully you will gain weight- your organs, bones, etc have taken a brutal dietary beating and need to heal.

Gaining fat may or may not happen, but would easily be worth it if it happened temporarily.

likwidoxigen is offline Senior Member
    It would be easier to judge if you posted a picture. For instance I've seen some veg(an/tarians) that have a shocking amount of good muscle, so we'd really need to see if you look likely to gain muscle (and thus pounds) or if you're more likely to lose fat and keep the same muscle for a net loss of pounds.

The number on the scale should be a guideline. I've gained 2 pounds in the past few weeks, but it's quite clear that it was all muscle. When you're style of eating shifts you'll have to modify you're guideline for a weight number as you'll also be carrying around far far less water weight.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I don't advocate throwing the scales away, but you do need to pay attention for at least a while to what and when you are eating so you can gauge if you are doing as you want. I agree that you shouldn't allow the scales to dictate, and weigh only occasionally, but far more important is to keep track of your food for a while. Unlike lots of younger guys, I do have to pay attention to calories, as do many women; but if you are eating true to the Primal Body principles, you should be fine. If you find the waist band on your trousers feeling snug, then cut back a bit on fruit or snacks, or excess carbs. I like Livestrong.com to track, others use fitday, and more are out there. It is data from which you can make decisions on how to adjust your diet.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Well I should say that I am naturally thin for my height (female 5'6 105 lbs). I have always been underweight my entire life, but once college rolled around I was still thin but skinny/fat, so gained weight around my midsection. I now am muscular because I do alot of weight training, but I don't want to my muscles to grow more from eating animal protein and fats. I like being slender but not skinny, i like a muscular and fit shape.

I also agree that hopefully my organs and body heals, because I definitely had some health issues that are still being resolved. It seems that solution is to add essential proteins back into my diet! I am excited about this, but still need to tweak some things because I get exhausted after lunch now. Maybe it takes time to switch over to protein/fat diet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast