Thread: Hi from Michigan page

shieldsl is offline Junior Member

Hi from Michigan

Primal Fuel
    Hi all. I wanted to say hi and give you all a run down of what is going on. Just started eating primal 4 days ago. My husband and I are doing it together which helps a lot. 2 of our good friends have been eating primal for about a year now and love it. They told us about this site and after doing our research, we've decided to try this.

We have always eaten healthy - or what we've previously considered healthy. Low fat, whole grain, minimally processed stuff (which is still good). Love working out and fitness. I've done P90X twice. I remember this carb flu feeling the first month of P90X's nutrition plan which only allows 100 calories of grains a day. But I got over it. I am 5'1 and 113 lbs and my husband is 6'1 and 182 lbs.

I am still feeling the carb flu and it's hard not to eat something bad! I've come here for some motivation. I haven't eaten anything non-primal yet - even after going out to eat twice with friends. I am planning on letting myself have a tiny bit of flexibility but haven't wanted to ruin it already. Our house is full of eggs, bacon, grass fed beef, chicken, fruits and veggies. It is wonderful to cook eggs in real butter. Makes them taste SO much better!

Looking forward to talking to some of you here and reading more advice, columns and recipes.

Hi Sheildsl,

Welcome to the PB. It is awesome that you and your DH (dear husband) are taking this journey together as it makes it soooo much easier. Ditto that you have good friends that you can associate without the usual peer pressure.

If you signed up for the email (about once a week) you will get links to the PB Fitness ebook, Reader Cookbook and Reader Coconut cookbook for free. Plus if you look in the archives there is a section for recipes. I have made many of them and they are terrific. In fact, this weeks, Creamy Macadamia Shrimp is the main course for a dinner party we are having Friday, it was so good. Everyday Paleo also is a good choice for recipes.

Anyway lots of answer here on the website and forum. Glad you are here.

Goldengrokette

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Are you trying to lose weight (fat)? If not, you might go higher on the carbs.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! What part of MI are you from? I grew up in Traverse City and Grand Haven (I live in Nashville now).

hi again! Things have been going great. Today is day 8 and my new love is almond butter.. haha. Dip some apple in it for a great snack. We are ordering some grass fed beef online today for cheaper than we can get it around here - very excited about that. I bought a couple of lbs at Trader Joe's and used it in our primal tacos and didn't realize it would taste SO good.

goldengrokette: I have already put myself on the mailing list and have tried quite a few recipes as well. We're very excited and thank you for the welcome. Are you and your husband both primal?

Hedonist: I am trying to lose some fat - I know with my weight and height you wouldn't think I would have any, but I have a very small frame. Today marks 8 days and I have lost 3 lbs already. I would like to only lose about 3 more. I think I am finally over the carb flu feeling as the past 2 days or so I have felt GREAT! I have only went a couple of days eating below 50 grams of carbs as I know you shouldn't do that very much. Most of the time I am between 50-100 grams.

hazyjane: I am from the Detroit area. Traverse City, Grand Haven and Nashville are ALL beautiful. You are lucky to have lived in all 3 cities

Hello Shieldsl,

Sounds like you are doing great. Would you mind sharing your grass fed beef source? The local farmers are better ranchers than they are business people and seem to have a customer service problem of calling people back :-). We were hoping to split a whole cow with a couple of friends who are paleo but seriously considering primal due to flexibility and variety.

Yes, DH is also primal (at least at home!) He is tall and thin but has lost his little bit of belly and love handles so is a happy camper. His blood pressure is now normal too. I am 95/5 primal at home so feel great. It is absolutely amazing the change in my body composition. The scale has been put on a shelf in DH's closet that I cannot reach without the 10 ft ladder that I am too short to get down from the garage wall. All measurements are done by tape measure at hips, waist and chest. Of course, the 2 sizes of shorts I have dropped in 2 months is a good indicator of my progress.

Glad you carb flu is over.

Marta

Marta,

Wow!! 2 short sizes? That is great! So you guys started 2 months ago?

We are getting our grass fed beef from texasgrassfedbeef.com. If you go to the online store, the shipping costs are included with the price of the beef. It's a minimum 20 lb order. But it's only $5.50/lb for the grass fed ground beef. We just ordered our first round this morning so I'll let you know what I think.

Lisa