Thread: Cuban style pork?? page

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member

Cuban style pork??

I Am in Miami for work and just had a traditional pork dinner at a Cuban restaurant that would have knocked my socks off if it weren't 100 degrees and I had socks on... Does anybody have a recipe to share for primal Cuban pork? I would be eternaly grateful.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_morgan24 View Post
    I Am in Miami for work and just had a traditional pork dinner at a Cuban restaurant that would have knocked my socks off if it weren't 100 degrees and I had socks on... Does anybody have a recipe to share for primal Cuban pork? I would be eternaly grateful.
    The marinade is called mojo criollo. I like it on just about every kind of meat, really. You can buy bitter orange juice in most Hispanic markets. From there add olive oil, garlic, oregano, pepper and salt. I add a little bit of sugar, not primal but it isn't that much, and water. If you can't find bitter orange juice you can mix equal parts orange juice and lime juice. It works really well in a crock pot. Slice onions and marinate the whole thing then dump in the crockpot or in a Dutch oven and slow roast. Goya makes a brand that doesn't have too much added stuff in it. Check out this website: 3 Guys From Miami Cuban Recipes: Ultimate Frijoles Negros Rápidos (Quick Black Beans)

I grew up near Tampa so I LOVE Cuban food.

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Muchas gracias! I am definitely trying this when I get home. A little sugar cheat will be totally worth it. I am still reeling from that meal. Just like my Jack's BBQ last weekend when I was in your Nashville self control while traveling is a challenge...

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Not sure how authentic this is, but it tastes really good.

Paleo Cuban Pork Tenderloin | Health-Bent

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Not sure how authentic this is, but it tastes really good.

Paleo Cuban Pork Tenderloin | Health-Bent
    Oh man, I really need to try that. I grew up eating Cubans . . . heh. The BEST sandwiches EVAR. Now I can't eat bread at all and it makes me very sad, otherwise I would definitely make that part of my 20% whenever I visited Florida. Yay! Excited!

kap
    kap is offline Member
    I tried this last weekend. It was terrific - everything I thought it would be. The kids loved it, too. I recommend being very generous with the honey mustard when layering the meats. My only complaint is that today's pork is so lean as a result of fat paranoia that it tends to dry out. Even when cooked to the bare minimum-required temperature. But the end result was still fantastic. I used to love cuban sandwiches. This makes a good substitute.

Kevin

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Not sure how it differs from Cuban, but here is a great recipe for pernil... It's a puerto rican pork dish and 100% paleo..

El Boricua, a bilingual , cultural publication for Puerto Ricans

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcb View Post
    Not sure how it differs from Cuban, but here is a great recipe for pernil... It's a puerto rican pork dish and 100% paleo..

El Boricua, a bilingual , cultural publication for Puerto Ricans
    This looks amazing....can't wait to make it!!

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    This looks amazing....can't wait to make it!!
    It is... and stupid simple. The garlic smell is overpowering when you first start cooking it, but it will mellow considerably by the time it is done.