Thread: Enameled Cast Iron page

Drama is offline Member

Enameled Cast Iron

I bought a cast iron skillet and didn't even realize it is enameled. I thought if it was enameled it would have that white layer, but this is dark. -- definitely enameled though.

SO do you not treat enameled pans?

Noobie question

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 enameled pots. Well, one sauce pot and one dutch oven. I prefer enameled cast iron for soups, stews & sauces. As for frying pans... I've never seen them enameled. I would say you don't season them like standard cast iron. No real need to it seems.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drama View Post
    I bought a cast iron skillet and didn't even realize it is enameled. I thought if it was enameled it would have that white layer, but this is dark. -- definitely enameled though.

SO do you not treat enameled pans?

Noobie question
    You don't treat them and you may also cook w/ tomatoes or other acidic things that would be a no-no in uncoated cast iron.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    In terms of care and feeding of any pans you have purchased, first rule of thumb is to follow the manufacturers directions. They are typically useful.
    Big thing to remember with enameled pans is that the enamel can chip so take care when cleaning as that is typically when chipping happens. In my experience, price of the pan has nothing to do with it's changes of chipping. Others may have a different experience.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Don't have an enameled pan, but I do have an enameled dutch oven and it is the cat's ass.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I did the same - bought a black inside, green enamel outside frying pan, thinking it was cast iron inside when it is in fact enamelled. It is great for some things - anything with tomatoes, or a sauce which might harm the seasoning of a cast iron pan. But I do prefer my real cast - iron - seasoned - with - lard pan for most frying when I want it to be really non stick.

The enamelled one doesn't need seasoning or anything like that - just don't use metal utensils n it!

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Don't have an enameled pan, but I do have an enameled dutch oven and it is the cat's ass.
    and the dog's bollocks. I love my enameled dutch oven.

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Word