Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After Breast Milk? page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

My wife nurses our 10-month old daughter, but what after breast milk? CW says cow's milk, but I really don't want to start giving her milk from another species--especially cow.

Anyone here have suggestion for alternatives? I know coconut milk has a lot of lauric acid which is very prevalent in breast milk. Not sure it is as nutrient dense. I'd be willing to also add goat milk, which I hear is better than cow's milk.

But I'm wondering if anyone here has a completely different alternative that they've been using.

Thanks!

DepRatlAnimal Guest

CW also says 10 months is around the time to start weaning... But toddlers still get the best nutrition from breastmilk! Of course, it's your wife's call, but here's a great link... There's a pdf version easy to print out.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

maba is offline Senior Member

JamieBelle is offline Member

Toddlers need a huge amount of protein relative to their small bodies, but getting them to accept and adequately chew meat can be a challenge.

I would NOT give your child coconut milk instead of cow's milk because there is no protein in it.

If I were in your position (and thankfully I'm not...my son is five but is not primal) I would give her whole milk that is organic. After age one most of their nutrients should be coming from whole foods, and the milk is really just a supplement, but it is important. I can't really speak to goat milk because I know nothing about it, but I know my husband was raised on goat milk without any problems because there were goats on their farm instead of milk cows.

If you can keep your daughter's diet free of grains and processed foods, I wouldn't sweat the dairy. Just my opinion.

I recommend Nina Planck's "Real Food for Mother and Baby", based on WAPF principles. Just omit the grains and it's Primal.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

We went with organic whole milk.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I like what Nourishing Traditions book by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig has to say about it. They actually go as far as suggesting feeding your kids with raw cow milk but you would have to make sure to always have it fresh and have it from a reputable cow which can be quite a challenge.

If your wife is able, you can supplement a child's daily regiment with mother's milk up to age 2 and sometimes I've heard even longer. That will help you to safely add all kinds of new ingredients into your child's diet without risking depriving him or her of vital nutrients.

FairyRae2 Guest

I'm currently nursing my 2.5 year old, and will continue until he's done. (Which means whenever he stops...) Many cultures nurse past the 3rd or 4th year, and I'd keep nursing as long as it is feasible for your wife and child. (Edited to add: Mark talks about this in the PB book--he mentions that Grok mamas would have typically nursed to age 3 or 4...)

We are dairy free (ds is intolerant) and utilize leafy greens and bone broth for our calcium (and other) needs...We also use coconut milk a lot, b/c it's tasty and wonderful and a great replacement for milk in various dishes--but not really to replace the nutrients in dairy... If I were going to add in any other dairy, I'd go for raw, cultured goat's milk first, b/c goat's milk is easier to digest (I've read--more similar to human milk).

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Is it too early to starting switching to purees or some solids? A blend of vegetables and a t-bone would be, imo, way better than cow milk.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach would be a good resource. His kids have been Primal since conception.

Nina Planck (I only briefly flipped through the book) recommends feeding previously-frozen grated liver when switching to solids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast